Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Isle of Wight Star Party 2009 - March 26th -> March 30th

The Isle of Wight Star Party is being held on the southern tip of the island - where the nearest lights are shipping in the channel, and France.

The fried breakfasts in the morning from the Brighstone Holiday Centre and proper beds to sleep in (if you take a chalet) make this an almost civilised Star Party :hello2:

Details are here: http://www.iowstarparty.org/ - there is a mailing list as well on Yahoo! which is well worth signing up for: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/iowstarparty/

Both Iain (Mel) and I went last year, and it was great fun.... We are both going back again this year...

See you there!

Richie

A nice idea, but the two ferry companies that operate between there and the mainland, are an ablsolute 'rip off' IMO.

I can take my car and caravan across the channel, at a fraction of the price per nautical mile, to what that they charge.

Got 'bitten' once, but never again.

Pity, because the IoW is a lovely place, with a lot to offer.

Dave

• 2 months later...

It's past now, but with nice memories...

Despite the changing weather at daytime we had nice nights there...Friday night was quite windy, and with some clouds, Saturday night was wonderful: the wind settled down and no clouds until 2am...

I've taken quite a lot of pictures: orange Moon, Orion nebula, M51, M101, M65 with M66, M102 etc.

Zoltan

Yes, it's passed, but what a great star party!

Four consecutive clear nights? I'm sure that doesn't happen too often anywhere in the British Isles.

Thursday and Friday were both a little windy, but hey, it's the south coast. Saturday was very nice, with very calm skies overhead, and just a little twinkling (scintillation?) further down towards the horizon.

Sunday was in fact the best night IMO - there was a little cloud at around midnight but that soon cleared and left some stunningly still skies. I was looking through Ted's 18" Dob at about 3AM and saw some sights I had never before seen.

All in all a runaway success and I think all who were present would agree. Having more trade on site was also a good idea since plenty of kit was brought down to play with.

I will be back next year if they'll have me!

Iain

Hi,

I managed to get to IOW starparty 2009 and it was ace. Thanks to all the organizers and team, especially Lucy, Steve, Brian and Bill. We got really lucky with the weather and some of the sights seen were incredible under such dark skies. Cannot wait till next time! Good work Vectis Astronomical Soc!!

Dan

Richie I would be interested in coming next year but would like the comfort of a chalet. Its 35 years since I last visited the IOW so I could revisit the tourist sites as well!! When it comes time to confirm the booking is the Ferry booked direct with the company or is there an arrangement with Vectis. I think you are coming to SGL4 so we could talk some more there.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yup - I'll see you at SGL4. The situation for the last 2 years is that Vectis have taken interested names before January. Then in January, booking starts - I'll announce something on SGL when that happens.

Ferry wise, for the last 2 years Vectis have arranged discounted crossing with the Ferry company. Hopefully they will be able to do the same next year.

Can people mention that they saw about the IoW Star Party from SGL in the email to them please :) Want to see how many this is bringing in.

Cheers,

Richie

Archived