Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange things on my images!

Hi, first time posting here!

The last two images I took had strange blue/grey rings on them. Not sure what's caused them.

I'm using a Canon 1100d with an Evostar 72ed with a lens warmer. Wondered if the sensor needed cleaning? Or if I shouldn't be using the warmer during Summer?

These rings only come to light when processing after stacking. Was kind of hoping I'd discovered two black holes 😁

Any help appreciated!

andromeda2.jpeg

Edited by CheapAsAstronomer
Extra info

Try stacking the images without the flats and see if you still have the problem. 

I just downloaded  the file you posted and it looks like a problem with your flats.

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Some people swear by that method, I havr found it under exposes for my 6D. How did you stack and process your light frames?

Stacked in DSS using recommended settings and processed in Startools, again with recommended settings

Hi,

Crop away the stacking artifacts around the edges and fix your flats (these are almost definitely dust donuts). If you cannot (or don't want to) fix the flats, mask out the dust specks before running Wipe. Have a look at the Wipe documentation here which incidentally shows examples of the same issue you are experiencing above.

Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, jager945 said:

Hi,

Crop away the stacking artifacts around the edges and fix your flats (these are almost definitely dust donuts). If you cannot (or don't want to) fix the flats, mask out the dust specks before running Wipe. Have a look at the Wipe documentation here which incidentally shows examples of the same issue you are experiencing above.

Hope this helps!

Excellent! Thank you!

13 minutes ago, CheapAsAstronomer said:

There is a chance it could have....not sure if it did. 

Try taking a couple more flats at the proper focus to see if the dust donuts are in the same place. If they are then take another set and try them for calibration.

• 2 months later...

Late to to the post .. but Ive created a video with APP for the stacking and then processing in Star Tools for M31 with the exact same camera that you have.

Please let me know if the video was helpful, I'm already working on further objects and workflows via You Tube. So please subscribe to be notified as they appear !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxkDDLspaiM

• 5 months later...
On 13/10/2020 at 19:56, autonm said:

Late to to the post .. but Ive created a video with APP for the stacking and then processing in Star Tools for M31 with the exact same camera that you have.

Please let me know if the video was helpful, I'm already working on further objects and workflows via You Tube. So please subscribe to be notified as they appear !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxkDDLspaiM

Great video. Learned many things there!