Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7380 Wizard Nebula (NB)

Star101

WiKi NGC 7380 in Narrowband (SII/Ha/OIII)
Constellation    Cepheus
Distance    7.2 kly
Physical characteristics
Radius    100ly
Other designations    NGC 7380, Sh2-142, Cr 452
NGC 7380 (also known as the Wizard Nebula) is an open cluster discovered by Caroline Herschel in 1787. William Herschel included his sister's discovery in his catalog, and labelled it H VIII.77. It is also known as 142 in the 1959 Sharpless catalog (Sh2-142). This reasonably large nebula is located in Cepheus. It is extremely difficult to observe visually, usually requiring very dark skies and an O-III filter.
Located 7200 light years away, the Wizard nebula, surrounds developing open star cluster NGC 7380. Visually, the interplay of stars, gas, and dust has created a shape that appears to some like a fictional medieval sorcerer. The active star forming region spans about 100 light years, making it appear larger than the angular extent of the Moon. The Wizard Nebula can be located with a small telescope toward the constellation of the King of Aethiopia (Cepheus). Although the nebula may last only a few million years, some of the stars being formed may outlive our Sun.

Takien last night/early this morning 6/7 Aug20

14 x 300s  S2,Ha,O3 (3.5 hours)

Scope TS65EQ

Mount Mesu 200

Astrodon 3nm filters in a Atik EFW3.

Guide cam Lodestar X2 in ZWOOAG on C11.

PixInsight, PHD2 and SGPro

Master Bias/Fats/Darks

About 4 hours processing. Noise Generator/Normal, Noise Reduction ACDNR on all three Masters. Stretch using old Histogram Trans. Added using LRGB combination without the L.  Extract Lum. Adjust RGB using curves. Add Lum using only L on LRGB and select Chrominance Noise Reduction. Adjust again in Curves. Check noise using ACDNR. Done :)

Thanks for looking.

Dave

NGC 7380 The Wizard Nebula C.jpg

Edited by Star101
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Very nice Dave, got my last subs on the Wizard last night so hoping mine comes out as good.

Thanks Mark,

I'm on my stay-cation so don't have to get up the next day :) 
It was quite a clear night here last night. Only threw away one sub because it looked a bit hazy, I assume cloud  
This one was my second attempt at processing. First attempt earlier today was a failure. I did some noise reduction and lost a lot of detail. So, decided it was easier to start again using the Master stacked lights. Only an hour wasted...I'm on holiday, I don mind :)

Good luck with your image Mark. I look forward to seeing it.

• Like 1