Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new to me Swift Trilyte mk3 bins!

johnbaz

Hi all

Had an amble around the local bootsale last week and dropped on these Swift Trilyte 8x40 for the princely sum of £10 👍

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I feel sure they've been in the case for most of their life as the condition is very good!!

John

• Like 6

wow that's a great find! Very nice condition too. Only thing with them is close focus is around 15ft but otherwise a very good bino. I've an older model 7x35 and they are nice to use, as well as a Chinon 10x40 that are made by the same manufacturer I believe, given the similarity and IIRC the same makers markings.

5 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

wow that's a great find! Very nice condition too. Only thing with them is close focus is around 15ft but otherwise a very good bino. I've an older model 7x35 and they are nice to use, as well as a Chinon 10x40 that are made by the same manufacturer I believe, given the similarity and IIRC the same makers markings.

I think someone may have messed with these as the nearest focus is around a hundred feet! 😮

Beyond that they're fine!! 🤨

Cheers, John 🙂

15 minutes ago, johnbaz said:

I think someone may have messed with these as the nearest focus is around a hundred feet! 😮

Beyond that they're fine!! 🤨

Cheers, John 🙂

😮 that's not so good, sounds like they may have been apart in the past and perhaps assembled incorrectly. Not had the focuser side apart on the ones I have since they work fine and didn't need more than glass being cleaned. Not sure if they are the same as the Chinnon but be careful not to overdo the dioptre adjust as that can undo things. Easy fix if a little fiddly but doesn't need a full dismantle, everything accessible under the eyecup at least 🙂 

• Like 1

Have a look at this..

Search eBay for this advert.. "SWIFT Trilyte Model 805 MK III, binoculars, 8X30,  GOOD condition"

Asking £85, so I think you got a bargain!

I am pretty sure that "Chinon" was a house brand name used by Dixon's Photographic back in the 1970s for their higher end range.

Yours look almost more like roof prisms rather than porros..

Dave

that's right Dave, think they are uppendhal type roof prism. The Chinnon I have is very similar in design, but with the focus wheel at the EP end:
image.png.86ab18eadfb9b1156cd5bcb61b7af855.png

But they were indeed a Dixon's house brand, being higher quality than the other brands they stocked (Miranda IIRC). Funny that the Swift models tend to go in the £45-90 range where these Chinnon ones tend to be pretty low cost by comparison. Less desired I guess, but still pretty good if a little narrow FoV

Edited by DaveL59