SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars - Realistic Expectations?

2 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

A good filter brings out details better. I bought the Celestron Mars filter the other year, and it works a treat in teasing out more info. I tend to find I get better, sharper views in my ‘fracs than with my 10” Newt with it, although it works OK in the Newt too. If you don't want the expense of a filter like that then you can use some yellow or green planetary filters that work pretty good too, although not as good as the Mars filter.

Been on the hunt for a Celestron Mars filter for a while.. you just dont see them second hand Gus.. you have a bit gold dust there!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I suggest you keep an eye on the BAA Mars Section Director's Mars blog for news about dust storms etc.

The photos of Damien Peach and others on that site indicate quite a dusty Martian atmosphere, although not a major global dust storm, at least not at present.

John 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Looks very similar to the Baader Neodymium filter which I can recommend.

John 

I agree.. just curious as we all are with kit!. I do use a SW Moon & Skyglow, does help a little on 'some' nights

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I find the Basder filter works very well so not in a hurry to buy the Celestron filter unless it comes up used at a good price.

I only have a fringe killer for the Bresser 127L. Would this be the contrast booster your referring too John?

I know what you mean @johninderby. I have a Wratten #8 Long pass filter. Sure it does what it says on the tin, but I do find the yellow hellish to deal with. But, it does make planet detail jump out

Edited by Rob

I've tried all sorts of filters on the planets (including Mars) but for me, I have always preferred the filterless views :dontknow:

I even splashed out quite a bit on a Tele Vue Planetary filter a few years back which seemed to get rave reviews from a couple of well known observers but that didn't do anything for me either. I notice that TV dropped their planetary filters after a couple of years. They used to do a general Planetary filter plus a couple specifically for Mars.

Perhaps people found much less expensive coloured filters at least as good ?

This opposition I have a couple of what I believe to be the best planetary scopes in their apertures available so I'll have some fun, filtered or unfiltered :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

ADC isn't mentioned. Paul does have one though. Used for these drawings of Saturn and Jupiter

To review all of Paul's drawings, go to his BAA Member page here. They are amazing!

Thanks for that Jeremy. Of course Mars is that bit higher in the sky :smiley:

This morning at 4am, I could make out a dark area a little off center of the planet with my 8"dob.

But strangely, not the polar ice cap. It had me wondering if it shrinks noticeably during the summer season for that hemisphere. 

It is good seeing Mars getting larger in the eyepiece.

4 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

This morning at 4am, I could make out a dark area a little off center of the planet with my 8"dob.

But strangely, not the polar ice cap. It had me wondering if it shrinks noticeably during the summer season for that hemisphere. 

It is good seeing Mars getting larger in the eyepiece.

I'm surprised that you've not been able to make out the South Polar Cap, as its been quite obvious recently, although now shrinking rapidly, and I gather it can disappear completely towards the end of the Martian Southern Summer. I've read reports suggesting that it now shrinks more than it used to, suggesting that Mars may also be experiencing global warning, which in the case of Mars cannot be due to man made CO2 emissions.

John 

Edited by johnturley

The moon was nice and clear this morning, with only a little scintillation. I tried observing Mars with a 4.5 inch reflector and 8 inch Dobsonian, but still couldn't make out any definite features, even after 1.5 hrs viewing (01.30hrs-03.10hrs).

Edited by Guest
grammar

4 hours ago, merlin100 said:

The moon was nice and clear this morning, with only a little scintillation. I tried observing Mars with a 4.5 inch reflector and 8 inch Dobsonian, but still couldn't make out and definite features, even after 1.5 hrs viewing (01.30hrs-03.10hrs).

Strange.. yes the features are subtle. When using my 8" newt I always setup everything, get Mars (or any Planet) in the ep then check collimation. Even if I then move to other targets and come back to Mars- check collimation.

More and more detail will be on display from here to October (fingers crossed no dust storms)

Edited by Rob

I observed Mars on Thursday night in an 8” scope and the polar ice cap was very obvious, I would think it was hard to miss if the scope is properly collimated and cooled. I could also see dark markings covering most of the Southern Hemisphere, and some subtle brightening on the North polar region, possibly frosting I’m not sure.

What I saw basically matches this excellent image from Craig, although the dark markings were much more subtle visually. The polar cap was bright and obvious as said.

Keep trying, it should get easier as the planet approached opposition. Just for reference, I was observing at about 4am and used x267. The seeing conditions were pretty good which also helps of course.

• Like 3

When I observed Mars last week with my 10” dob it had gotten pretty dark and I struggled to make out details. Realized the night vision I had started to build up was working against me as the bright glare from Mars blotted out a lot of contrast.

Shone my white light flashlight at the white painted OTA and stared at it for a while and when returning to the eyepiece it made a world of difference. The south polar cap popped out and also some albedo features on the red surface.

After a while the features started becoming less obvious so I repeated the process and then they came back again.

A powerful tool to try out. Not to mention simple.

Edited by davhei
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, davhei said:

When I observed Mars last week with my 10” dob it had gotten pretty dark and I struggled to make out details. Realized the night vision I had started to build up was working against me as the bright glare from Mars blotted out a lot of contrast.

Shone my white light flashlight at the white painted OTA and stared at it for a while and when returning to the eyepiece it made a world of difference. The south polar cap popped out and also some albedo features on the red surface.

After a while the features started becoming less obvious so I repeated the process and then they came back again.

That’s a very good suggestion. I think I have done this inadvertently before but should try a more deliberate approach. Thanks! 👍

8 hours ago, johnturley said:

I'm surprised that you've not been able to make out the South Polar Cap, as its been quite obvious recently, although now shrinking rapidly, and I gather it can disappear completely towards the end of the Martian Southern Summer. I've read reports suggesting that it now shrinks more than it used to, suggesting that Mars may also be experiencing global warning, which in the case of Mars cannot be due to man made CO2 emissions.

John 

From what I’ve seen John, similar to you, the cap is still quite obvious and easy to observe, given reasonable seeing I guess.

17 hours ago, John said:

I've tried all sorts of filters on the planets (including Mars) but for me, I have always preferred the filterless views :dontknow:

I even splashed out quite a bit on a Tele Vue Planetary filter a few years back which seemed to get rave reviews from a couple of well known observers but that didn't do anything for me either. I notice that TV dropped their planetary filters after a couple of years. They used to do a general Planetary filter plus a couple specifically for Mars.

Perhaps people found much less expensive coloured filters at least as good ?

This opposition I have a couple of what I believe to be the best planetary scopes in their apertures available so I'll have some fun, filtered or unfiltered :icon_biggrin:

I found that the Neodymium filter gave a small but useful boost in contrast the other night, much as I have done in the past. I may try and orange or red just to see what happens. Not sure what I have in my bits box!

• Like 2

Last night's sketches of Mars began with a low altitude observation looking through haze and thin cloud using my FC100DZ and a 5mm Ultrascopic. Then as the planet rose above the murk, I made a second sketch using a 2mm Vixen HR giving me 400X. Surprisingly the view was intermittently very good. Then the final sketch of the night was made using a barlowed binoviewer and a pair of 25mm pseudo Masuyams. The views are as seen through the refractor using a prism diagonal, so north is top with e/w reversed. Each magnification gave a pleasing yet slightly different impression of the planet, so take your pick which you prefer.

IMG_7289.thumb.jpg.b816fff41e82521681bddc5eb6d58335.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davhei said:

I may try this technique, as Mars looks like a bright pale orange disk to me...

Hmmmmm.............wondering if this is a bit like lunar observation in that some seem affected by the brightness and for others it's no problem. A question of light sensitivity? 🤔

Edited by johninderby