SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cepheus-Cygnus megamosaic.

ollypenrice

These 32 panels from a full frame camera were captured by Yves Van den Broek (VdB on SGL) using his remote rig based here at my place. He stacked the frames and put them into APP, which made a good job of the mosaic geometry but not of the blending.  He then gave me the files so I slightly altered the geometry of the APP mosaic to reduce the need for final cropping and then processed the 32 subs. I used the modified APP mosaic as a template in Registar, where I combined the subs over a few days.  Further post processing was done in Ps with some existing data, including my Squid Nebula, added for good measure.

Yves' rig: Tak FSQ106EDX with focal reducer,  full frame QHY CMOS one shot colour camera and Mesu 200 in the Per Freyjvall observatory. 

A loud thanks to Yves for asking me to get involved with this. Cepheus is an astonishing constellation for the imager and discovering all its hidden secrets while working on this was fascinating. The scale of the dust structures beggars belief.

Note that there is no filtered Ha in this image. This is like no OSC camera I've ever tried before. I want one!

572386199_BATTOSQUIDBESTweb.thumb.jpg.65c446fdcdc9f01ca473330de4e41c7e.jpg

spacer.png

It's been a while since the days of regular collaborations with Yves and it's been fun.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Updating image to a slightly improved version.
  • Like 45

That is just stunning. You're right about Cepheus - have been enjoying it with just a little DSLR on vacation, let alone imaging & processing of that quality!  👏🏾

Can I be cheeky and put in a request for Scorpio or Sagittarius next pls 😅 (would love to see what you guys can do there!)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Note that there is no filtered Ha in this image. This is like no OSC camera I've ever tried before. I want one!

🤣 come on over to the dark side. The new 16 bit bsi sensors are supposed to be even better than the 367c.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vineyard said:

That is just stunning. You're right about Cepheus - have been enjoying it with just a little DSLR on vacation, let alone imaging & processing of that quality!  👏🏾

Can I be cheeky and put in a request for Scorpio or Sagittarius next pls 😅 (would love to see what you guys can do there!)

Tom's already done this. In fact here he is looking (rightly) rather pleased with himself: https://astrophotography.ie/aboutme.htm

😁lly

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Nice work @ollypenrice, wanting CMOS and OSC. St Paul has nothing on your conversion.

👼

Regards Andrew 

No no no, until recently this road to Damascus hadn't been built. The old road was long, potholed, rutted and plagued by dripping tunnels full of noisesome goats. The new road sweeps smoothly on velvet tarmac six lanes wide...

😁lly

• Haha 1

As I just said on Astrobin, that is a stunning mosaic Olly with the squid in one end and the Crescent in the other! Never seen them together. Outstanding indeed. Superb processing, but now you cleraly lost your arguments against OSC, at least the new CMOS generation 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Yves' rig: Tak FSQ106EDX with focal reducer,  full frame QHY CMOS one shot colour camera and Mesu 200 in the Per Freyjvall observatory.

To my knowledge there have been three different QHY full frame OSC CMOS cameras in the last couple of years. Which one is used here?

Great image.

Adam

13 minutes ago, Adam J said:

To my knowledge there have been three different QHY full frame OSC CMOS cameras in the last couple of years. Which one is used here?

Great image.

Adam

Its taken with a  QHY128C...  600x5min from Yves Flickr page   Same sensor as a Nikon D750..  so not the latest tech (Yves also uses a more recent QHY600C

• Thanks 1

Yves felt it would take more and it did. A medium size one is here: https://www.astrobin.com/full/g82xf7/B/?nc=user

Olly

PS: at no point in the processing did I apply any noise reduction. There was no need, even working with the gargantuan original dataset. 

Edited by ollypenrice
PS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tom OD said:

Superb mosaic. The detail for the, what I would consider short integration, is stunning. I ve been lucky to see this is a higher res too.

Wonder what the Mono version with a Ha filter would get?

Tom.

Is there a mono version? I don't know.

In comparing my NAN and Trunk-to-Bat HaLRGB images with Yves' result I noticed two things: his Ha has actually gone deeper than mine and there is something about the way the Ha emerges from the gas and dust which is more progressive and natural. His camera has give a 'look' which I like very much indeed. And in 90 minutes per panel.

Olly