SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

synscan app for Skywatcher 127 wifi

Hi everyone, looking for your useful tips and advice here.  I am going completely wrong with the synscan app. I dont think I even know how to operate the app to make the alignment function work - please can someone give step by step instructions as to how to place the scope and what to do with the app to make it work?

many thanks

thanks for the advice, i watched the video and was doing the right thing, however, the scopes first alignment is way off. I have to make big swings to correct it and then it seemed to track the second one ok.. Does that seem normal?

I did the north alignment and made sure the scope was level- told it to go to Altair - but it seemed to be pointing to something random. The second one I selected was arcturus and that seemed to work after I had to swing the scope atleast 90 degrees to the left and lift up and around 45 degrees up to manually align Altair - help please ..

I've just had a watch of that video HMS_Furious linked to, which isn't half bad. There doesn't look much to the alignment process, and it seems to take everything it needs (location and time) from the phone. Provided your location is correct (it's worth checking your phone knows where it is) and you go through the process of centering the correct stars, there's nothing much else to get wrong.

It asks you to confirm alignment for each object you goto, which then adjusts the alignment. If you play the game for four or five objects, does it eventually start getting it right, or does it continue to be all over the place? I'm wondering if something is slipping. If you slow the slewing speed down does that help?  Does it appear to stutter?  What's the power to the scope like?

I prefer to start with the 2 star alignment as that lets me manually set position on my own choice of #1 star.

When moving to the #2 star, if all is well it should be close enough to the second star; if it's way off, I'd check whether the app has permission to get the location and time.

the two star one seems to work, no north alignment needed - just point to first item and manually centre, it then picks the other item reasonably ok.. not sure whats slipping but this seems to be working better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Naveen said:

the two star one seems to work, no north alignment needed - just point to first item and manually centre, it then picks the other item reasonably ok.. not sure whats slipping but this seems to be working better.

You can do this as a rough and ready 'one star' align if you just want to get a quick tracking set up for looking at the moon or bright planets

Select 2 star align and centre on the first star. Let it go off and look for the second star - but no need to bother checking, just do the 'up / right' to allow you to confirm.

It's very likely to be close enough to be able to find a bright target in the finder, and it should track well enough.