Narrowband

A word of warning about Hubble Optics UL dobsons

Hi,

I would like to share my experience so far with you concerning the UL dobsons of Hubble Optics. To start with, I have purchased their UL 16" dobson end of May this year. They have advertised 3-5 weeks delivery time which would be acceptable.

Now I am at week 10, and just received a message that my scope has still at least 6-8 weeks until it would arrive. It is pretty frustrating, but I cannot do anything about it.

So, if you go for this design, be prepared for several months of waiting :-(

CS,

Janos

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just to come back to my own topic: my 16" UL dobson has arrived end last year in excellent condition. I have already assembled it and I could take it out for observation. The quality of the optics is really good, I needed to do some tweaks to the mechanics but no major changes,

CS,

Janos

IMG_20201001_204550.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 21:36, Paz said:

Very nice, interesting how the secondary is supported, I guess that saves a bit of weight and bulk in the setup.

Yes indeed, but the secondary definitely needs heating with this setup. There is one hugh advantage of the secondary design: the mirror is not glued to anywhere. It is just genlty pushed down in the secondary cage with a layer of flexible foam. So whenever I need to replace this mirror it will be a piece of cake :-).

• Like 1