SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Will my telescope track automatically? Celestron 8 Evolution

Hi,

I have a Celestron 8" Evolution with StarSense.

Once I have enabled Auto Align, done the calibration stars, and enabled Auto Align again - after all that is done, will the telescope then automagically track the first object I choose to observe? 

I have read all the manuals etc but I haven't used a telescope with tracking before, only manual ones. I feel I might be missing something very obvious here but such is the nature of learning! My learning curve is still very steep!! 

My understanding is that the telescope will track automagically, I don't have to enable tracking as such. I can select 3 tracking modes - Sidereal, Lunar and Solar. I believe the tracking defaults to Sidereal. Do I have that right? IE I don't have to switch tracking on as such? 

Note - I only have a StarSesne HC, it didn't come with a NexStar HC - will this be OK? 

Does re-centering an object in the eyepiece while tracking damage or strain the motors? 

Thanks for any advice, opinions or thoughts

Siouxsie

Edited by StarGazingSiouxsie

Hiya. I have the same set up. I connect and use it from the SkyPortal app. I click connect and align. Once it has gone through the process of doing this it will track whatever I choose. If you choose the moon it will choose the speed it tracks it at for example. 

fantastic set up, good choice. 

• Like 1

I've had some issues with my StarSense, mostly because I don't use it enough.  I don't have your telescope, so can't comment on that, but yes, in theory, the telescope will track and direct you to objects.  I haven't been nearly 100% successful with doing that (as the telescope seems to be close, but not on, the object I'm looking at).  However, I was able to manually get to Jupiter (the auto align got close, but not on the object) by moving to the object with the usual keypad.  No, you won't strain the motors by doing this, because the telescope doesn't *know* that it isn't on the "correct" object, so it isn't trying to continually correct--it's just doing with it normally would.

• Like 1

I had a fight when I first tried StarSense. The biggest mistake was not doing the calibration step after the very first alignment step, so the optical path of the camera and tube were misaligned and it was forever missing the target. Once I'd done that, and let it run through it's camera routine again, that was cured.

I also found the key sequence when using the hand controller a bit confusing and I was never sure if I was supposed to be pressing ENTER or ALIGN at particular points in the sequence. Using SkySafari seems a lot easier as the screen prompts are more explanatory and less ambiguous.

If I understand it correctly, it's important if you use an "app" like SkySense or SkyPortal to do alignment, you need to use that method throughout the whole session. You can't align via the app, and then add additional alignment points using the hand controller (and visa versa).

• Like 1

Yes, the mount will track automatically with the Starsense handset attached, defaulting to Siderial rate.   All GoTo mounts will track automatically AFAIK.

I assume you did not get the Nexstar handset as you bought the Starsense in a bundle with the 'scope.  Actually I prefer the Starsense handset to the Nexstar one, as it has menus of deep sky objects arranged in order of decreasing brightness.  Not so good is that you have to wait till it's fairly dark for the Starsense to work (align), or do a Solar System align.  The C8+Starsense is a handy outfit for quick deployment, as you can carry the whole assembly outside in one lump and get the self align going in minutes.

Do you still have the C9.25 on order, BTW?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Yes, the mount will track automatically with the Starsense handset attached, defaulting to Siderial rate.   All GoTo mounts will track automatically AFAIK.

I assume you did not get the Nexstar handset as you bought the Starsense in a bundle with the 'scope.  Actually I prefer the Starsense handset to the Nexstar one, as it has menus of deep sky objects arranged in order of decreasing brightness.  Not so good is that you have to wait till it's fairly dark for the Starsense to work (align), or do a Solar System align.  The C8+Starsense is a handy outfit for quick deployment, as you can carry the whole assembly outside in one lump and get the self align going in minutes.

Do you still have the C9.25 on order, BTW?

Thanks for your insights, appreciated. 

My telescope didn't come with the Nexstar HC , just the StarSense one. I wish it did though bcus the NexStar can access parts of the Utilities menu (mount lights, battery status, etc) that the StarSense HC can't. 

No, I had to cancel my order for The Cubble, AKA the 9.25 Celestron SCT. I was told it was on back order until at least October. I couldn't wait that long!! 

I can just about manage to lift the 8 Evolution set up in one go but only for very short distances, it's actually quite heavy (for me anayway). Build quality is great though, so no grumbles from me on that.