Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars Is Getting Closer!

orion25

I stayed out much too late to observe the Red Planet and was not disappointed. I was able to clearly discern Planum Australe (south polar cap); the darker regions Terra Sirenum, Terra Cimmeria, Hesperia Planum, and Tyrrhena Terra; the lighter Elysium Planitia; and a bright albedo region in Hellas Planitia. I was able to get a decent image of Mars at about 39 degrees above my horizon. I used the Orion Starshoot Solar System 5 camera with my 127mm Mak to capture the images, and Registax 6 to process. I included a composite with images of Mars from July and August for comparison.

1226304082_ASTRONOMY-MARS(5MP)8-02-20.jpg.a26d4abd387a1367cd2b5d8337f5910c.jpg

1060571983_ASTRONOMY-MARS(5MP)7-11-208-02-20.jpg.960314908139dcb1c4fd283bbb4692fc.jpg 

I'll get a September image and, of course, a perigee image in October and make a final composite with four images of Mars. I'm excited!!! :D

Regards,

Reggie

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, orion25 said:

Mars is a'comin', Louise! :) 

I could see it's brightness last night  but that was through the murk - hence no stars visible at the time. I don't really have anything to properly image planets. I await some clear nights for the stars to appear...

Louise