Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not sure If I have a faint galaxy showing in my pic of M45

Dave Moulton

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread got me looking back at my M45 data and its in there in the stacks both with the modded 350D and unmodded 1000D with the Megerz 72 FF III combo... not as nicely captured as yours Dave but its definitely there ...

Billy...

Well done Billy. Such a faint object to capture with such a small scope well done to you. You know I think I see another in there as well but, my word if it is it's faint.

Dave

Ha, Cheers Martin I was proud of that smudge. At least I was

Dave

And you should be :). I find it quite awe-inspiring, to bag a galaxy quite 'by accident' so to speak. Remember that, for all its faintness, that's a whole island universe maybe as big as our Milky Way, with its billions of stars and maybe planets with intelligent beings on them.... for all we know, 'someone' out there has just imaged a favourite open cluster which happens to be lined up in 'our' direction relative to them - and is at this very moment pondering a faint fuzzy in the background of their shot.... :scratch:

But I ramble on somewhat... I like looking in deep sky stuff for background fuzzies. Usually they appear in images of nearby galaxies of course, since galaxies tend to be in the same parts of the sky. But there are a few unexpected bonuses, like the galaxies in the fields of M13 and M57...

Ha, Cheers Martin I was proud of that smudge. At least I was

Dave

And you should be :). I find it quite awe-inspiring, to bag a galaxy quite 'by accident' so to speak. Remember that, for all its faintness, that's a whole island universe maybe as big as our Milky Way, with its billions of stars and maybe planets with intelligent beings on them.... for all we know, 'someone' out there has just imaged a favourite open cluster which happens to be lined up in 'our' direction relative to them - and is at this very moment pondering a faint fuzzy in the background of their shot.... :scratch:

But I ramble on somewhat... I like looking in deep sky stuff for background fuzzies. Usually they appear in images of nearby galaxies of course, since galaxies tend to be in the same parts of the sky. But there are a few unexpected bonuses, like the galaxies in the fields of M13 and M57...

Well said Pete.For me it would be nice to know just how far away the galaxy is in respect to us.

Dave

it would be nice to know just how far away the galaxy is in respect to us.

Dave

Well, now, that's asking rather a lot :shock: - and I don't suppose anyone can come up with the answer - except that it's way WAY beyond the Pleiades for sure!

Done a very rough guesstimate based on the assumption that it's about as big and bright as the familiar NGG 4565 which is similarly edge-on to us. Well this one is mag. 17.9, NGC 4565 is mag. 9.6 at 31 MLY, so that gives us (disregarding redshift etc. etc.):

31 * 10 ^ ((17.9-9.6)/5)

which comes out at 1,417 MLY... but only a guess... :oops:

it would be nice to know just how far away the galaxy is in respect to us.

Dave

Well, now, that's asking rather a lot :shock: - and I don't suppose anyone can come up with the answer - except that it's way WAY beyond the Pleiades for sure!

Done a very rough guesstimate based on the assumption that it's about as big and bright as the familiar NGG 4565 which is similarly edge-on to us. Well this one is mag. 17.9, NGC 4565 is mag. 9.6 at 31 MLY, so that gives us (disregarding redshift etc. etc.):

31 * 10 ^ ((17.9-9.6)/5)

which comes out at 1,417 MLY... but only a guess... :oops:

Sounds like an intelligent guesstimate to me

Thanks,

Dave

Archived