SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Not sure If I have a faint galaxy showing in my pic of M45

Dave Moulton

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that the one Kevin had on his M45 a few weeks back???

Never mind the galaxy, there's a whole shedload of data there! Just look at that nebulosity! If I could offer a comment, on my screen it looks a little soft, but I would say the focus must have been spot on looking at the pattern on the stars. It may just be what jpg-ing it has done, its hard to get a good look at the image on my laptop, but this looks like a cracker to me Dave! Nice one.

TJ

A very fine image of M45 Marvo. Loads of illuminated dust there.

Always an eye catcher this cluster, it is a beauty.

I had a look in my Burnhams for the object arrowed, but according to the book

Taurus does not even have a galaxy in it. A Planetary, clusters, and diffuse nebs.

Ron. :thumbright:

You are spot on John, well sussed mate. I have just seen the object on a high resolution image of the cluster.

And a big well done too to Marvo. You haven't made a discovery, but you have recovered a little known about Galaxy, so that is a notable achievement. :salute:

Is that the one Kevin had on his M45 a few weeks back???

Never mind the galaxy, there's a whole shedload of data there! Just look at that nebulosity! If I could offer a comment, on my screen it looks a little soft, but I would say the focus must have been spot on looking at the pattern on the stars. It may just be what jpg-ing it has done, its hard to get a good look at the image on my laptop, but this looks like a cracker to me Dave! Nice one.

TJ

Cheers TJ. You are right it does look pretty soft. The tiff looks much better but I reduced the jpeg res a lot to get a better image scale to post and it came out looking a bit yuk.

Cheers,

Dave

Very nice Give it a bit more stretch in curves bring out alot more neb

Les

I will try Les trouble is the subs are not that great it was quite murky that night and a lot of LP comes through when I try to bring out the faint stuff. Will give it another go though as I did manage 3hrs on it.

Cheers ,

Dave

You are spot on John, well sussed mate. I have just seen the object on a high resolution image of the cluster.

And a big well done too to Marvo. You haven't made a discovery, but you have recovered a little known about Galaxy, so that is a notable achievement. :salute:

Cheers Ron, Makes things interesting finding out that you don't need clean you scope lens at the very least.

Dave

Confirming the galaxy ident, CdC shows it as UGC 2838 and also by another name PGC 13696 blue mag. 17.29 .

Tip for those who use CdC and don't see all these faint fuzzies, it's because you haven't downloaded and installed tha add-on. Go to Help, then Catalogs, then scroll down to "Catalog of Principal Galaxies" and click 'Download: PGC'. It occupies 74MB on disk which is peanuts by today's standards!

I find that most of the time it's best to 'turn off' PGC display, it does tend to clutter the screen somewhat!

Cracking M45 shot anyway! :thumbright:

Nice image of M45.

Yep , the "smudge" is UGC 2838 the estimated mag of this object is about 17.2

John

Thanks John looks to be fairly unanimous then. I haven't even heard of that catalogue interesting stuff

Cheers,

Dave

There are many catalogues - Messier , NGC , IC , Sharpless , Lynd's Bright Neb , PK , Van De Bergh , Abell etc. etc.

Only the first three are included in most scope hand controllers.

John

Confirming the galaxy ident, CdC shows it as UGC 2838 and also by another name PGC 13696 blue mag. 17.29 .

Tip for those who use CdC and don't see all these faint fuzzies, it's because you haven't downloaded and installed tha add-on. Go to Help, then Catalogs, then scroll down to "Catalog of Principal Galaxies" and click 'Download: PGC'. It occupies 74MB on disk which is peanuts by today's standards!

I find that most of the time it's best to 'turn off' PGC display, it does tend to clutter the screen somewhat!

Cracking M45 shot anyway! :thumbright:

Cheers for the tip Pete. I use CDC but have not as yet got that plug in, so thanks for that.

Dave

Archived