SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Books for kids

Just asked my 6 year old daughter to choose the best of her 4 or 5 Space Books and it was no contest - DK Knowledge Encyclopedia Space!  She's been interested in al things Space since she was just under 4, so has worked her way up to this through simpler picture books so it might not be the best for jumping right in, but it's very detailed and has loads of facts, tables and information which is the kind of style she loves.  The Amazon link above lets you look through some of the pages for an idea of the content.

I know you asked about books, but throughout lockdown we've taken great advantage of YouTube resources - particularly Maddie & Greg's Lets Go Live  has been brilliant for science and nature and did a week of episodes on the solar system.  Space week Episode one can be watched here.    We also loved the talks from Cambridge University Astronomy - not sure the order matters but here is their one on the Solar System

Lastly, I've found nothing inspires her imagination more than being able to hold real things.  We discovered when trying to help her interest in dinosaurs that we could buy small fossils of a decent quality for £10 - £15 and similarly for her interest in Space she's got a couple of  meteorites .

Hope that's of some use.  I'd *really* recommend Maddie & Greg if you haven't discovered it already - a lifesaver for us during lockdown - 30 minute shows but filled our whole days with makes and experiments.

Edited by Girders
  • Like 2

I would like to suggest an extraordinary book which you and your 7 year old can learn the night sky together through a simple step by step visual guide to picture images that will "stick" in your mind,  then you both can go outside at night and be able to find them amongst the myriad of background stars.  :smile:

The book is called " Stikky Night Skies "   ISBN 1-932974-01-6   by Laurence Holt Books. 

PICT0001 (Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 12:47, Girders said:

Just asked my 6 year old daughter to choose the best of her 4 or 5 Space Books and it was no contest - DK Knowledge Encyclopedia Space!  She's been interested in al things Space since she was just under 4, so has worked her way up to this through simpler picture books so it might not be the best for jumping right in, but it's very detailed and has loads of facts, tables and information which is the kind of style she loves.  The Amazon link above lets you look through some of the pages for an idea of the content.

I know you asked about books, but throughout lockdown we've taken great advantage of YouTube resources - particularly Maddie & Greg's Lets Go Live  has been brilliant for science and nature and did a week of episodes on the solar system.  Space week Episode one can be watched here.    We also loved the talks from Cambridge University Astronomy - not sure the order matters but here is their one on the Solar System

Lastly, I've found nothing inspires her imagination more than being able to hold real things.  We discovered when trying to help her interest in dinosaurs that we could buy small fossils of a decent quality for £10 - £15 and similarly for her interest in Space she's got a couple of  meteorites .

Hope that's of some use.  I'd *really* recommend Maddie & Greg if you haven't discovered it already - a lifesaver for us during lockdown - 30 minute shows but filled our whole days with makes and experiments.

Thanks for the recommendations.

my girls have watched some Maddie & Gregg, but I wasn't aware of the 'space week'  I'll check them out.

i've shown them the moon, and I got them up to see Neowise, but it's still a late at this time of year for stargazing.

• Thanks 1

On 04/08/2020 at 12:10, L8-Nite said:

I would like to suggest an extraordinary book which you and your 7 year old can learn the night sky together through a simple step by step visual guide to picture images that will "stick" in your mind,  then you both can go outside at night and be able to find them amongst the myriad of background stars.  :smile:

The book is called " Stikky Night Skies "   ISBN 1-932974-01-6   by Laurence Holt Books. 

PICT0001 (Small).JPG

PICT0002 (Small).JPG

Great thanks for the recomendation 👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

My 3yo is space obsessed currently! Which I am very much trying to Foster further.   He also adores Maddie Moate on cbeebies, so 'Maddie, space and you ' (think it's still on iplayer) it's great.  It was filmed at the national space centre in Leicester and I took the family along at half term.  Thoroughly recommend it,  my 6 and 8yos also loved it,  we will be back at Easter.   Book online to avoid disappointment as its very popular,  online also gives a free upgrade to an annual pass,  so our next visit will be just £4 parking and probably 5x£3 for a planetarium show. 

My 3yo loves rocket launches so enjoys a lot of YouTube like Marcus House,  Scott manley and matt lowne. Bottle rockets and match head rockets are also fun for him.... and me.