Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81/Bode's nebula

rodrigol

M81/Bode's nebula. C11 Edge HD + 0.7FR + ASI294MC Pro 30x60s lights and calibration frames from my library. Dithering is a game changer and my focuser work in automated mode for the first time. I took this using NINA (no relation - it works!) and processed with PI (working on the background but it taking time. I need some advise) Done the usual background removal and color calibration steps but getting rid of the gradients is a challenge. Note these are heavily accentuated in the jpeg below.

light-BINNING_1_AS.thumb.jpg.bfbb5ab39e9549844bf05002b7341449.jpg

• Like 8

Nice result for just 30 minutes total integration time.  Obviously this target has a lot more to give with more data.  It's interesting to see the chromatic aberration you are getting around the brighter stars.  I get this too using a mono CCD on my Edge 11 but can tame it a bit by aligning the frames using RegiStar...

• Like 1

Thanks for watching and for the advise! Yes, I need to be brave and get longer exposures and let the dithering do it's job. Still learning but I know the galaxy arms stretch beyond the mag 10+ double HIP 48635 stars.  I also have the issue with the CA on the east side of the pier, which I'm afraid may be due to mirror flop? I do focus often to get things tight but I'm beginning to see this more often when I image on the east side of the mount...

39 minutes ago, rodrigol said:

Thanks for watching and for the advise! Yes, I need to be brave and get longer exposures and let the dithering do it's job. Still learning but I know the galaxy arms stretch beyond the mag 10+ double HIP 48635 stars.  I also have the issue with the CA on the east side of the pier, which I'm afraid may be due to mirror flop? I do focus often to get things tight but I'm beginning to see this more often when I image on the east side of the mount...

Hmmm.  I hadn't really thought of this before but I guess the collimation could be changing either side of the pier...

• Like 1

Very nice effort indeed,

surprised you only went for 30 minutes worth of data as what you have is good,

as X6gas  said, it has a lot more to give, but I sure would be happy with that.

Well done 

Paul

Edited by ultranova
Spelling errors
  • Like 1