Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep14_banner.thumb.jpg.27eb9b06c9c8a1fe5ac3bae21c92743b.jpg

pblackwell

Is it still possible to see comet Neowise?

Hi all, 

Is it still possible to see comet Neowise with the naked eye? (I’ve tried but cannot see it)

and is it still possible to view with a telescope?

thanks

p

Not that central London is the best for spotting anything but on Thursday night I was unable to get it naked eye, but found it quite easily in 60mm binoculars. But it’s glory is well in the past now unfortunately.

1 hour ago, pblackwell said:

Hi all, 

Is it still possible to see comet Neowise with the naked eye? (I’ve tried but cannot see it)

and is it still possible to view with a telescope?

thanks

p

I saw it in my 4” scope on Tuesday from Esher. The Moon was fairly bright and it’s not that dark around there so you should be able to see it. This was a picture I took with my phone through the scope, unprocessed and processed.

D38C728C-7F21-4409-97DA-15609AD9097D.jpeg

582AA621-61BF-4EEA-B9F0-723639EED5F7.jpeg

• Like 1

Saw it a couple of nights ago from my light polluted location with 11x70 binoculars couldn't see it naked eye as it's now a shadow of it's former self.

Dave

55 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Saw it a couple of nights ago from my light polluted location with 11x70 binoculars couldn't see it naked eye as it's now a shadow of it's former self.

Dave

Similar here. Most small scopes should show it but it's a case of finding it.

By the way - I've moved this to the comet section. Hope that's OK.

I've just found it with 8x56 binoculars from here. It's glowing softly in Coma Berenices tonight. Not striking but fairly obvious just above the scatter of stars in that constellation:

neowise010820.thumb.png.4d94bec4898726bceb6385efe4ee86e0.png

Yes, just seen it too with a pair of 16x50 bins.  A fuzzy blob basically. 

• Like 1

Looked  fairly bright last night in my 9x63 bins. Not naked eye though. 

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Yes, just seen it too with a pair of 16x50 bins.  A fuzzy blob basically. 

I spend a lot of my time looking at fuzzy blobs!🤣

Yep.  It's what we do basically isn't it? :) 

• Like 1

Ok great, I’ll prep one of my telescopes next time I’m getting clear skies.

Previous few times I did that clouds rolled in 😤