Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Animation of the "Finger prom" of the 31st July 2020

Craney

Always fancied a go at an animation of Solar activity on the limb.  Since an absolute beaut turned up yesterday with a forecast of clear skies...... off we went !!!!

This is taken with a double stacked PST with a PG Flea mono cam.   Frames were every 30secs for a good 2 hours.

Capture_00006_pipp.gif.976fa7ef8aac2e8e3f7d975bb05bce8a.gif

To give you an idea of the size of this thing, here is a composite image of surface + prom activity.

1886225180_compo1rotated.thumb.jpg.28228495c347a22afd641afdc953fd80.jpg

....and quite fortuitously, not long after the recording ended the prom faded from view.

Sean.

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Interesting that "matter" seems to be falling away?

Yes.. I thought that even though the extent of the 'finger' is increasing.

Just checked the subs and confirmed that this is time going forward......  alas I haven't compensated for the dilation effects of general relativity  ;) .... just yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonderful stuff Craig. That is very much how it looked through the PST mod, although much slower of course 🤣🤣. What time was it taken? I watched three bright ‘blobs’ of plasma falling down towards the surface, you could actually watch them moving over a period of just a few minutes, just like your time lapse so I guess it was at a similar time. Really good to see your video to verify what I saw 👍👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

What time was it taken? 

Looking at my subs list......   first one started at about    12:21    last one   15:01 ....... I think that's local time  (BST)... the 'properties' on the FITS files does not specify if its GMT etc....presumably it is read off the computer clock.

16 minutes ago, Stu said:

Wonderful stuff Craig. 

You can call me Sean.  ;) 

• Thanks 1

Cracking animation Sean.

1 hour ago, Macavity said:

Interesting that "matter" seems to be falling away?
But it didn't "hang around long" --  Eventually? 🤔

indeed Chris. It started off as a reasonably thick pillar prom on Tuesday and Wednesday, but then suddenly grew so quickly on Thursday and Friday that it burnt itself out. It suddenly lost mass and momentum, as plasma was dragged back to the chromosphere. And very fast the whole feature disappeared from view. 

Great to have this footage In such detail

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Craney said:
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Wonderful stuff Craig. 

You can call me Sean.  ;) 

Tee hee! No idea where Craig came from, put it down to youthful enthusiasm!! 🤣

44 minutes ago, Craney said:

Looking at my subs list......   first one started at about    12:21    last one   15:01 ....... I think that's local time  (BST)... the 'properties' on the FITS files does not specify if its GMT etc....presumably it is read off the computer clock.

That ties in with when I was observing which makes sense. Excellent stuff.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Those solar set ups really seem like they would be fun.

My advice would be to judge a good individual frame exposure with your set-up to get detail but not overexpose the disc.   

Get a recticule on the screen to judge if the centre spot has drifted in time, I used SharpCap.  

30secs seems a good interval.  Again Sharpcap has a great 'intervalometer' feature  where you can tweak parameters.   

.....and yes.....once off and running you can sit back and have a beer.

Thanks everybody for the kind and generous comments.

The amusing aspect of it all, is that compared to the many lonely night-long vigils capturing some faint proto-nebula, I managed to weed the garden and mow the lawns at the same time !!

oh-no.... where's that Lunt catalog !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...