Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More Sunspots emerging

8 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

A new group of small spots becoming visible today around NE solar limb. This must be the most sustained period of activity since Cycle 24 wound down. Should provide another few days of interest in WL and HA 

Is that in amongst the faculae Mark? I spotted a few tiny pores in there yesterday so they are obviously developing. Cloudy here now after being clear this morning, hopefully will have a chance to see them sometime over the weekend.

• Like 1

Good to know, cloudy today but supposed to brighten up tomorrow, still haven't managed a look through the LS60 / Leica with the add ons, just need the seeing to improve from the last few days.

Dave

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is that in amongst the faculae Mark? I spotted a few tiny pores in there yesterday so they are obviously developing. Cloudy here now after being clear this morning, hopefully will have a chance to see them sometime over the weekend.

It is Stu. Just clouded over here but will keep the scope primed.  What looks like three small spots. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Had a final glimpse about 30mins ago and couldn’t see any spots in the new active area, but seeing was poor. Fingers crossed for tomorrow 

I should be able to get a look a bit later on this afternoon ... did you notice how bright some of the active regions were on Friday Mark a bit like a Delta region.

Brian 

Amazing how quickly things change. When I first looked today I couldn’t see anything! I found the larger spot now right on the limb, and it then took me quite a while to find the other active region on the opposite limb. Nice area of faculae with four small spots/pores of various sizes embedded in it, good detail when the seeing steadies.

5 hours ago, Solar B said:

I should be able to get a look a bit later on this afternoon ... did you notice how bright some of the active regions were on Friday Mark a bit like a Delta region.

Brian 

Agree Brian - and they still are pretty bright. Directly Beyond the ‘new’ AR, which is now firmly in view, there’s also a flattish rock shaped Prom on the limb which is very bright.

3 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Agree Brian - and they still are pretty bright. Directly Beyond the ‘new’ AR, which is now firmly in view, there’s also a flattish rock shaped Prom on the limb which is very bright.

Yes I noticed that to ... most striking indeed ! , the weather only really cleared here a "bit" latterly to enable a look , if your looking and your not seeing the bright active regions then it's the reflection 😉

11 minutes ago, Solar B said:

Yes I noticed that to ... most striking indeed ! , the weather only really cleared here a "bit" latterly to enable a look , if your looking and your not seeing the bright active regions then it's the reflection 😉

New active region’s just been designated AR2769 - Solar Weather describes it as “crackling with B-class flares”. 
Sounds promising for tomorrow/Tuesday.

All recent sunspots confirmed as Cycle 25

• Thanks 1

Cycle 25, that is the beginning of the next cycle? Each cycle goes through an active and calm period, or are they either active or calm?

I got out for just a few minutes and couldnt see anything with my filtered DOB, where before I could see the small spot.

Viewing wasn't the best with some high thin clouds moving around and I forgot a towel to cover my head as I looked into the eyepiece.

2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Cycle 25, that is the beginning of the next cycle? Each cycle goes through an active and calm period, or are they either active or calm?

I got out for just a few minutes and couldnt see anything with my filtered DOB, where before I could see the small spot.

Viewing wasn't the best with some high thin clouds moving around and I forgot a towel to cover my head as I looked into the eyepiece.

Yes - beginning of new (11 year) solar cycle. Each cycle has active and quiet periods - we’re currently coming out of “solar minimum” which is the quiet period of Cycle 24. Sunspots can be tested for their magnetic make up to establish whether they belong to the old cycle or the new. Good thing about recent activity is it belongs to the new cycle, so it looks like we may be emerging from the really quiet period.