SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Multiple Nights Stacking - SIRIL

7 minutes ago, alacant said:

Create an empty folder.

Change the working directory to that folder.

Siril -> Conversion

Hit the '+' button

Select the processed files you want from the first session without the .seq file.

Hit the '+' button

Select the processed files you want from the first session without the .seq file.

Give the sequence a name

hit 'Convert'.

--- --- ---

You now have a sequence loaded with all the frames.

HTH

You are a life saver - I probably seem fairly ignorant towards this stuff, but am super appreciative of the support - makes going into this hobby a lot less daunting! (Presumably I dont check debayer because that will have already occurred during preprocessing)

Thanks again! I'll attach my final image so you can see what all this fuss has been about :D

17 minutes ago, cwine said:

I probably seem fairly ignorant towards this stuff

Not at all. 

18 minutes ago, cwine said:

I dont check debayer

Correct.

18 minutes ago, cwine said:

my final image

Looking forward.

Cheers

39 minutes ago, alacant said:

My first ever attempt at deep sky astro - criticism is more than welcome - I've so much to learn!

136 mins of lights, f4, 200mm, ISO 800, 60 second subs. Also calibrated with flat, bias and dark frames. I used a Svbony CLS light pollution filter, and a Canon 600D unmodded. (Shot on 2 different nights - 109 and 27 minutes of data respectively)

2081568729_Andromeda136mins.thumb.jpg.a113c6623acadaaadce1bc4987790691.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cwine said:

criticism is more than welcome

No criticism, just a big pat on the back. Crack open the Champagne.

Excellent image.

Advice? Lose the dark frames. Keep the bias and flat frames but instead of the darks (which as you may have noticed introduce more noise). dither between each light frame. Stack with a clipping algorithm.

Result: nice smooth low noise backgrounds.

Cheers

1 hour ago, alacant said:

No criticism, just a big pat on the back. Crack open the Champagne.

Excellent image.

Advice? Lose the dark frames. Keep the bias and flat frames but instead of the darks (which as you may have noticed introduce more noise). dither between each light frame. Stack with a clipping algorithm.

Result: nice smooth low noise backgrounds.

Cheers

Ah yes perfect - ill certainly look into dithering because I've heard so much about it! Thanks a lot - really appreciate all your help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2020 at 15:24, prusling said:

Hi, sorry I use the Windows version. The following page (in French) https://astroslacholet.wordpress.com/2020/04/11/utilitaire-conv2siril/ advises the following which may apply to MacOS:

Under linux, you must make the "sirilic.pyw" file executable or launch online command in a terminal: python3 sirilic.pyw
You can associate the extension ".pyw" with the python program (/usr/bin/python) in your browser.

This may be a bit of a pain to set up but I believe it is worth it as the resulting front-end is very easy to use. I have written a (Windows) tutorial which is referenced on the link above.

Hi again - sorry to come back to this but I have an update. I managed to get Sirilic working on my Mac (yay), and it all work smoothly until I reach 'Actions - Step 2: Run Scripts'. At that point I get the error, '***Error: siril don't exist => ?'. I have Siril installed so I'm not sure why it isn't working. Only thing I can think of is that the created scripts say they are only compatible with Siril 0.9.12.0 or later, and I'm not sure if I have that version, and if I don't, how to update to it. 

Have you ever seen this error before, or have any idea how to fix it?

Many thanks - Charlie

EDIT - I tried running Sirilic again, but only using lights, and doing it from multiple sessions, and I dont get the same '***Error: siril don't exist => ?', but I get a different script error from one of the python files that comes with the Sirilic download package, specifically, ' File "/Users/charliewinefield/Desktop/Astro Software/Siril/Sirilic/lib/buildscript.py", line 618, in register_stack
    return pp,last_processed_image
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'last_processed_image' referenced before assignment'

So frustrating how I can't get this to work! I was so close!

Edited by cwine

Hi, the first thing that came to mind was that you need to tell Sirilic where the Siril executable is located in File, Preferences. 

However it sounds as though the executable was found in your later edit. Sorry I can't help with that error message. 

On 21/08/2020 at 14:47, prusling said:

Hi, the first thing that came to mind was that you need to tell Sirilic where the Siril executable is located in File, Preferences. 

However it sounds as though the executable was found in your later edit. Sorry I can't help with that error message. 

Don't worry - I'll just work around it in Siril, and not worry about Sirilic for now. Thanks for the help anyway!