SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

5mm eye pice out of focus

Andromeda

ive just been out moon obserbing everything great but when i put my 5mm eyepice in with a 2x barlow and moon filter the eyepice was out of focus showing the moon as a white blur :hello2: i tryed taking out the barlow the filter still nothing it was crisp at 15mm with the barlow and filter in. any tips on what i should do

Hi there Andromeda,

If I understand, you are using a 5mm eyepiece in a scope with a focal length of 1000mm. This will give magnification of 200x. With a barlow, this is bumped up to 400x.

Similarly the 15mm will provide about 67x and 133x with a barlow.

If the atmosphere is not really clear and steady, using higher magnification is not possible. Enjoy the view with the 15mm and try the shorter focal length one on a clearer night.

Mike

Yeah I would say the 5mm without the Barlow is as much as you can get on normal nights. There will be the odd occasion when you can really push things and stick the 2X barlow in as well but as Mike says, enjoy the view you have! I have 100% Clouds :hello2:

Archived