SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6-R High accuracy polar alignment

Hi everyone, 

I’m still young in astronomy and I just leveled up and build a permanent pier, so I can save the time and the most important thing is also getting a high accurate polar alignment, so I can get longer exposures. Unfortunately I didn’t get the PA to a level over 3-4 mins. It was ok before cause I have a fast telescope and used lrgb with bortel 4 sky. But for narrowband not enough. 

I usually use sharp cap for polar alignment. I tried the also drift alignment in PHD2 but looked unstable to me as it always changed the direction after every exposure (I have been told to wait a 2 min at least to stake it) but I’m not sure if it’s good enough.

could you guys guys help me with some advice and tips  getting it better?

Thanks alot

If you are using PHD2 to guide, you don't need a super-low PA figure.

PA of 5 Arcmins or lower is as good as it needs to be, according to the PHD2 developers.

You'll notice if you run the Guide Assistant that it will nag you if your PA is over 5 arcmins, but not if it's below.

With the PHD2 Drift Alignment routine, it's best to wait until the RA line has settled back onto the horizontal axis, which can take 30 seconds or more.

But if you dismount your kit from the pier every night then SharpCap will be faster than PHD2.

Michael