Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dobsonian set up

Hi Folks, 

Just assembled a Skywatcher 250 dobsonian. Can anyone advise how freely the base should rotate (azimuth)? It feels a little stiff to me, but is that correct? 

Secondly, just for future reference, is it worth installing a lazy Susan bearing, if so is it difficult and where would I buy one!? 

Thanks for your help. 

BTW sorry if I've cursed the weather for the weekend! 

Insert a few washers make from a plastic milk bottle on the central bolt in the base. Just enough to raise the top a fraction of a mm above the teflon pads. Should help a lot.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

My base feels quite stiff with no weight on it. It is easier to rotate when you attach the telescope and it is angled down slightly. Observing objects at the zenith is tricky - I find it easiest to hug the base and turn it like that rather than push the tube as you would when tracking an object closer to the horizon. 

Enjoy your new scope! 😀

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Insert a few washers make from a plastic milk bottle on the central bolt in the base. Just enough to raise the top a fraction of a mm above the teflon pads. Should help a lot.

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. So should it rotate freely or require some encouragement? I'm guessing the milk bottle top solution is to take the pressure off the teflon pads. 

2 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. So should it rotate freely or require some encouragement? I'm guessing the milk bottle top solution is to take the pressure off the teflon pads. 

Not done the milk bottle washer thing myself but it is often mentioned as being a great solution by some respected members on here.

• Like 1

Just cut a few washers from the sides of the milk bottle. There should be some resistance to turning as you don’t want it to turn too freely. While you want some resistance you don't want any “sticktion”. In other words it should start turning smoothly with no little jump when it starts moving.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1