Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope price fixing? Anyone else seen this?

maw lod qan

It's an actual thing going on with a current class action lawsuit filed in the US since Singbo Sunny and Synta make about 80% of the telescopes provided to the US so they can rip off consumers by having monopoly and forcing high prices. 

Well at least that's the accusation

Edited by matt_baker

Wow! I might be the only one who thinks telescope prices have never been better. The high quality of Synta/Skywatcher products make them a steal and a virtual guarantee of a top end scope at an unbelievably low price. Takahashi prices have stayed pretty much the same over the last 20 years, which I'm extremely grateful for. The vendors don't make a fortune on each sale, and the manufacturer's who invest massive amounts of money to be able to research and produce some of the best off the shelf optics ever available to the amateur, surely have the right to set their price. I really don't see price fixing but instead see great offers all round. There's so much high quality gear available today to suit any amateurs pocket, that everyone can play. Just don't go into debt and spend beyond your means.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Wow! I might be the only one who thinks telescope prices have never been better.

I think that's only tangentially related to what's in question here however.  If I recall correctly the accusation is that Synta and Singbo Sunny are manipulating the market to try to drive out competition (or render them unprofitable to the point that they can take over the businesses involved) at which point they'll have so much control they can charge whatever they like.  So, in a way, telescope prices may never have been better from the point of view of the consumer specifically because Synta and SIngbo Sunny are allegedly colluding illegally.

I've no idea if they are or not, by the way.  I don't really know enough about it to have a meaningful opinion.  But that is my understanding of what they're being accused of.

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 1

Presume this all comes from the Meade/Orion lawsuit. Lawyers chasing overcharged consumers - just as they did in the U.K. over bank loans a year or two ago. The headline figure - that US consumers have paid $350m too much for telescopes over many years because of price fixing - looks impressive, but I can’t imagine that it’s driven the price of an average $250 scope up that much.
Agree with what Mike said about vendors. I bought a scope a couple of years ago and the packaging contained the original invoice with the order information between factory and retailer. The mark up was incredibly small. 

• Like 1

I know admittedly that my 8" Orion OTA wasn't observatory class, but still at just $250, I thought it was very, inexpensive. I wont use the term cheap.

How much could I win? Cant seem to hit the lotto, maybe this is my chance!😁