Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics Redcat 51 or ..... ??? Help!

Hi All,

I am looking for a bit of advice around what bit of kit I should invest in to get my foot in the door with astrophotography. I am struggling to decide what I should be putting on the front of my DSLR to start this journey.

I am currently using a Canon 6d MK2 ( un-modded, i know this isn't ideal however i am happy to run with it while I get to grips with things with the intention to upgrade the camera at a later date). I have a StarWatcher Star Adventurer with the EQ wedge and counter weight etc etc, and the standard  6D MK2 kit lens 24-105 f/3.5-5.6. I have been watching a few youtube videos and trawling page after page on the internet and came up with a couple of options which are within my current budget, they are

Rokinon/Samyang 135mm  F/2 lens or the Redcat 51 F/4. Ive had a look at the other William Optic kit available as well and I am open to one of them however I am a sucker for design and that redcat is right up my street.... but is it the most practical for my expectations? I've also thought about a bigger telephoto lens but i feel like i'd like something which leans more towards astrophotography and I need to take into account all of the other bits and peices which need to be brought at some stage i.e filters, trackers etc.

I have also considered purchasing an APO refractor but don't have the wedge to spend on a mount so I am kinda thinking a more lightweight travel friendly astro setup feels the best thing to aim for at the moment considering I already own a star tracker.

For my viewing pleasure I am currently using the Sky Watcher Explorer 150p on an EQ3-2 mount. Happy with that at the moment and not looking to upgrade however, open to suggestions.

Thanks - Dog

Both are excellent bits of kit. The Samyang will give a wider view at 135mm to the Redcat's 250mm. As far as I can see that's all that's in it, personal preference.

21 hours ago, Hals said:

Both are excellent bits of kit. The Samyang will give a wider view at 135mm to the Redcat's 250mm. As far as I can see that's all that's in it, personal preference.

I thought that might be the case and in an ideal world I'd buy both haha, but unfortunately im under strict instructions from the wife that it one or the other....happy wife happy life!! I think I am leaning towards the Redcat, purely because it is designed more towards the astrophotographer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...