SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Small scope lunar fun ...

vlaiv

That is kind of obvious - Lunar observing is always fun with a small scope, but is lunar imaging as well?

I finally managed to process capture of the other night - took some Jupiter, Saturn and this Moon image. Processing of this image took most of the day today.

Mak 102mm, ASI178mcc at prime focus, AZGti mount. Took 9 panels, 1000 subs each at 3ms exposure. Full FOV / no ROI. 256 of each calibration frames - darks, flats and flat darks. Stacked best 90% of each in AS!3. Stitching in MS ICE, wavelets in Registax 6 and final touch up in Gimp 2.10. This is monochromatic image of green channel.

Image has been reduced x2 in size - it was too much resolution I think for given number of subs and seeing at that time in that direction.

Click on the image for full resolution image (right click / new tab sort of thing).

moon.png

• Like 19

Right up my alley!!  Yes!  Much can be achieved with smaller scopes.   I am finding the seeing in my driveway just does not support more than 5 inches much of the time - but with a bit of effort results like this can be had!

Clear skies!

Mike

Edited by WestCoastCannuck
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...