Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What the!?

Rustang

Browsing on ebay (it happens) (alot) and came across this. I'm pretty sure it's a movie prop right!? That's way to futuristic for my liking and judging by the photos it's taken in the add, a total waste of money! 

Screenshot_20200730_195100_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by Rustang
  • Confused 1

yeah I saw that earlier too, one of the pics I was thinking a flat speaker, electrostatic type maybe... 

Great if it works and is all you want from looking at the stars, but good luck if anything stops working etc

5 minutes ago, Rustang said:

With the brief browse of the results, to me it sits in the more money than sense bracket, I mean that politely ☺️

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 1

No, I think you are spot on.

My "edit" was because I did have a quick look at the reviews...albeit after I had jumped straight in there !!!.....forums...eh???

There are a couple of scopes like this around at the moment and I think some of them are just standard components dressed up to look swish with a bit of programming to take the head scratching out of astronomy and astro-imaging.  This one reviews quite well, but at an eye-watering price for what it actually is.    

• Like 1

Tesla is an actual upgrade over a regular combustion engine vehicle. 0-100 Kph in about the same time as most Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche for 1/10th the price? Yes, thank you!

That thing instead? That's paying more to have way less.

Edited by endlessky

18 minutes ago, endlessky said:

Tesla is an actual upgrade over a regular combustion engine vehicle. 0-100 Kph in about the same time as most Ferrari/Lamborghini/Porsche for 1/10th the price? Yes, thank you!

That thing instead? That's paying more to have way less.

I don't really get the whole idea behind this device. You just plonk it down on the ground, wait a bit and look at pictures on your tablet or smartphone. You don't have to make use of (or learn) any knowledge or skill to capture the images. You are so removed from the whole process that you might as well just look at the pictures from the Hubble, pretend you have a Stellina and save £3,400.

I'm just getting started with imaging, but even with the slightly out of focus, fuzzy M51 pictures that I took earlier in the year, I feel a sense of achievement that the Stellina would just never give me.

I read a review recently of something similar. Eye watering price tag for something with very modest performance. OK it could auto-stack images to 'improve' the view. It fills a niche for someone with a lot of money who doesn't want to spend time setting up and using a standard visual or photography rig. It needs a lot more functionality and to be a lot cheaper to be taken seriously I suspect.   

1 minute ago, Shimrod said:

I'm just getting started with imaging, but even with the slightly out of focus, fuzzy M51 pictures that I took earlier in the year, I feel a sense of achievement that the Stellina would just never give me.

That. Plus think what £3,400 could get you. Surely, an HEQ5 Pro, a fast 80mm apo triplet and even a dedicated astrocamera. Maybe even guide-scope and guide-camera.