SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen porta 2-

Robindonne

Oke although this mount is around quite some time now, unfortunately i’m not. At least not in this hobby. I just received my vixen porta ii today, after giving away my porta 1.  

I assumed the only difference was the removable head but the bigger difference is the lesser quality tripod.   My previous porta had the standard tripod.  And this porta ii also has the standard tripod.

What i noticed is the thinner aluminium legs but also the plastic connection.   Is that the new standard or is it possible to upgrade to a little more sturdy “standard” tripod?  

Even the connection of the legs is made from plastic instead of the metal thats used with the porta 1.  

1335A461-A7BB-4727-9F2C-D764126E237A.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne

1 hour ago, banjaxed said:

The Skywatcher 3/8” stainless steel tripod is a big improvement on the standard one assuming it is the same fitting.

Yes i believe you right away.   I have one here and maybe ill start using it for the porta head.  But that idea of a nice short extendable lightweight tripod was 50% of the reason of buying this porta.  I’ve read a lot from users complaining about their wobbling porta tripod.  I just never agreed with them.  Now with the “new” porta ii the tripod feels so bad compared to that first porta edition?   These legs feel like alu foil.  😒.  

Edited by Robindonne

I think Vixen are using the lightweight Skywatcher / Synta aluminum tripod for the Porta II. I agree that the tripod with the Porta I was much better. At least you can move the Porta II to another, better, tripod though.

Does the Porta II still use those plastic slow motion controls that the Porta I used ?. They were quite poor.

• Thanks 1

Hmm yes.  Very clever they made it exchangeable.  Because thats probably the first thing you’ll do🙄.   And indeed the same plastic knobs.   Although the “push fit” kinda Internal shape does make them immediately fit tight (for now). 

Let the search for a sturdy tripod begin!!!

I agree the legs are very flimsy on the Vixen Porta II but it works pretty well with my Tak FS-60 as an ultra lightweight grab & go.
Also replaced the low rent plastic Slo Mo controls that @John mentioned with skywatcher cables  which improves things immeasurably! 

9361D25E-6BCA-4C78-92E5-BDCAC1C2CBFD.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep.  They are worse then the first edition.   Ill go for an upgrade, but first swap the legs with my daughters porta 1.   When she is at school in September she wont notice the swap around I hope

Edited by Robindonne
  • Haha 1

I've fitted my original Porta head to a 2" SW EQ6 tripod.  Much more stable, but heavy.  I removed the Porta tripod top, drilled and tapped the casting to M10 to accept an attachment screwed shaft and spreader plate.     🙂

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jock1958 said:

I agree the legs are very flimsy on the Vixen Porta II but it works pretty well with my Tak FS-60 as an ultra lightweight grab & go.
Also replaced the low rent plastic Slo Mo controls that @John mentioned with skywatcher cables  which improves things immeasurably! 

9361D25E-6BCA-4C78-92E5-BDCAC1C2CBFD.jpeg

What other options of slomo cables would you suggest.   I think i have the skywatcher ones but they seems to have such big openings in it. When i Have thightened the screw, it’s so much pushed to the side that it almost hits the mount on a mm

8 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

What other options of slomo cables would you suggest.   I think i have the skywatcher ones but they seems to have such big openings in it. When i Have thightened the screw, it’s so much pushed to the side that it almost hits the mount on a mm

All the end fittings of my slo mo cables are approximately the same internal diameter of 6.25 mm and slo mo stub shafts on my Skytee 2 & Vixen mounts are approx 6.0mm outside diameter with flats on for the grub screws to tighten onto. Have you any pics of your problem? 

95AF78E5-D1F0-4B09-9034-535FF84BF487.jpeg

52FE83EB-3FD4-4E25-8333-709DDF6D1834.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Yes. Just took some. A bit dark but good to see.   It’s approx 8 mm?   I removed that standard screw to fit it one of these from the 4th picture, otherwise it hits the mount.  I have to say, the slomo cables were part of a used mount i bought.  And although i assumed it was a standard fit, i also thought these were sw cables.  If you say they sw cables are 6,5 mm inside, then these aren’t sw.  

I then have to add some cables to my “desperate-to-buy-list”. I hope i can find some blanco part on that sheet😥

2 hours ago, jock1958 said:

All the end fittings of my slo mo cables are approximately the same internal diameter of 6.25 mm and slo mo stub shafts on my Skytee 2 & Vixen mounts are approx 6.0mm outside diameter with flats on for the grub screws to tighten onto. Have you any pics of your problem? 

95AF78E5-D1F0-4B09-9034-535FF84BF487.jpeg

52FE83EB-3FD4-4E25-8333-709DDF6D1834.jpeg

25D2E6F6-2BAA-44F5-BF24-D700E8BAE862.jpeg

6D4FA857-6978-43CE-B994-AAB21E9C9C1B.jpeg

F81C579D-10AC-4960-818B-2F370139ACBC.jpeg

BFF8B09F-A698-41A9-B503-6179E4EDAAE6.jpeg

• Like 1

Ahh I see your issue @Robindonne 8mm is too big and like you say it fouls the body of your Mount!

You can buy control cables that will fit your Mount from FLO for £20, part number 20485.  There’s other vendors that sell the same sort of cables as well. 

3F13039E-AD76-431F-9490-52B66DC45DF5.png

• Thanks 1

I use the Skywatcher 3/8" steel 1.75" leg tripod a lot. For an 80mm Frac and a Lunt 60 the difference in stability really is night and day compared to a Manfrotto 055 CF camera tripod. Personally I really wouldn't consider the 3/8" tripod as light and certainly not compact. I also use the 2" steel tripod and I find the difference in portability between the two practically moot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robbymain said:

The Vixen APP-TL130 tripod is a lot better than the standard one supplied with the Porta II....

Thx.  Yes looks very solid!!

just saw this video and it looks okay.    The contrast with the standard tripod is big (maybe also because that new standard is made weaker).   I had last night actually decided to get rid of that porta.  Or at least go search for something else.  
But your suggestion makes me thinking of upgrading to this tripod.   Thx   

The stock tripod is a weak link with a number of mounts that I can think of. Where possible I prefer to purchase the mount head on it's own a choose a suitable tripod for it.

I have the tripod from an old Meade LXD55 mount at the moment. It is aluminum but of the thicker walled type and much sturdier than the latest flimsy ones. All metal fittings as well. It reminds me of the old Japan made aluminum tripod that my Vixen Super Polaris had.

The LXD55 mount itself is long gone but I'm holding on to the tripod in case it comes in handy. It's EQ5 / Vixen GP compatible :smile:

Meade LXD55 Tripod & Hub Only - CN Classifieds - Cloudy Nights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1