Narrowband

Solar observing - blackout solutions

Paz

I am interested in hearing about or seeing others solutions for achieving blackout when solar observing.

Getting a complete blackout effect greatly improves what I can see but is quite a hassle.

I have a black rsky  observing hood but that heats up, I am wondering about getting a white one.

I've tried a big photographers cape thing that is grey/silver on the outside and black inside but that doesn't stop the sun's heat enough and it traps too much air making my eyepiece mist up.

I've now ordered some of that emergency foil blanket material wondering if I can make a contraption...

This is what I use Paz - it’s a huge silver cover with black cloth on the inside, and Velcro along two sides for blocking out all light. I find it essential for all solar viewing, and it’s pretty effective at keeping me cool. It can cause eyepieces to mist up if there’s no air coming in, but because it’s so huge that’s avoidable. Can’t remember where I got it from - maybe RVO. I know others on the forum have a hood ordered from a Russian supplier which is effective too. 

576C2433-B344-431C-AA8B-C5FE99FFB21A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 30/07/2020 at 17:52, Highburymark said:

This is what I use Paz - it’s a huge silver cover with black cloth on the inside, and Velcro along two sides for blocking out all light. I find it essential for all solar viewing, and it’s pretty effective at keeping me cool. It can cause eyepieces to mist up if there’s no air coming in, but because it’s so huge that’s avoidable. Can’t remember where I got it from - maybe RVO. I know others on the forum have a hood ordered from a Russian supplier which is effective too. 

576C2433-B344-431C-AA8B-C5FE99FFB21A.jpeg

That looks good, just the kind of thing I'm aiming for.

On 30/07/2020 at 18:29, Paul73 said:

I find that something light weight and white does the trick (a tea towel). Do you really need ‘black out’ for solar observing?
Paul

I've found it makes a difference for me that is enough to try and achieve it, but it's probably quite subjective.

On 30/07/2020 at 18:29, Paul73 said:

I find that something light weight and white does the trick (a tea towel). Do you really need ‘black out’ for solar observing?
Paul

For Ha observing it makes a huge difference to the contrast Paul, and even white light benefits from it too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to just use a baseball / golfing type of hat garment and find that shields the EP area enough ... sometimes when I remove it though I swear I can see more detail but that's very rare (HA) ... I think observing at just one wavelength has it's peculiarities.Brian

Brian