Narrowband

Kelling Heath Star Party – Autumn 2020

We're here, and so far no issues. As you come in the main drive, there is a 'Security' chap who will tell you about the Check In Kiosk!

On the layby, next to the car park, there are two Check In huts and someone will check you in there. Saves you going to Reception.

Toilets and showers are cleaned more often, the main doors are left open and windows are also open a small amount, so we'll see how that affects LP during the week.

The site was busy with non-astronomers but they are starting to clear out now.

Not been to the shop or Forge yet, so can't report on those yet.

Safe travels everyone!

On 11/10/2020 at 08:06, baggywrinkle said:

Still going..even thought the current 7 day forecast is not the best.

I've not been before, so a question. Do we set up our equipment by our pitches? or is there a specific pitch area?

Hi, Just set up equipment within your pitch area. Hope your first trip goes well. We’ll all need a bit of luck with this weather. I’ll be up in the top corner T320 if anyone passes, with the dob. Hoping to get a better pitch next year if available, I learnt the hard way that a no-show means you lose your pitch for the following year. Rules changed this time it seems 

Arrived yesterday to a very different Kelling.  There's clearly less people here, and compared with other years, its almost eerily quiet, the traders usual pitches are all empty.  However, as others have said, the Corvid precautions seem thorough enough and not unnecessarily intrusive.

It was reassuring to go for an walk yesterday evening and meet a number of friends and aquaintancec from previous years.

Started off last night with some brief views of Saturn and Jupiter in less than ideal conditions before it rained. By 11.30 pm it was clear and apart from an occasional cloud it stayed clear until 3 am when packed up.  Transparency was changeable but the periods of best transparency were as good as it gets and the skies were excellent.  I spent much of the time observing Mars with the 120ED - nice to have seen it on the night of opposition as well as having seen it on the night of closest approach.

Best deep sky lollipops were views of the Orion Neb, M35, Double Cluster, Pleiades, and other familiar sites. As usual, they were the best views I'll get until I come back in 2021.

Yes, Kelling is different this year, but not that different I'm pleased to say!  Its good to be here.

PS If anyone wants to pop by and say hello I'm  on T138.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Arrived yesterday to a very different Kelling.  There's clearly less people here, and compared with other years, its almost eerily quiet, the traders usual pitches are all empty.  However, as others have said, the Corvid precautions seem thorough enough and not unnecessarily intrusive.

It was reassuring to go for an walk yesterday evening and meet a number of friends and aquaintancec from previous years.

Started off last night with some brief views of Saturn and Jupiter in less than ideal conditions before it rained. By 11.30 pm it was clear and apart from an occasional cloud it stayed clear until 3 am when packed up.  Transparency was changeable but the periods of best transparency were as good as it gets and the skies were excellent.  I spent much of the time observing Mars with the 120ED - nice to have seen it on the night of opposition as well as having seen it on the night of closest approach.

Best deep sky lollipops were views of the Orion Neb, M35, Double Cluster, Pleiades, and other familiar sites. As usual, they were the best views I'll get until I come back in 2021.

Yes, Kelling is different this year, but not that different I'm pleased to say!  Its good to be here.

PS If anyone wants to pop by and say hello I'm  on T138.

Great news Paul - Thanks

Im your neighbour T130 and will be arriving late Friday night. Ill leave the camper outside and bring it in Saturday morning. Ill be sure to say hi!

Thanks

al

Edited by 8324689

Due to updated restrictions just announced by HMG: If you are travelling from a Tier 2 or Tier 3 area and are sharing indoor accommodation with another household please check with Kelling Heath reception who have ultimate control over the campsite and bookings before travelling.  Some Loughton members from London/Essex have already been contacted by Kelling and their bookings for lodges are cancelled and rolled over to next year.  KH are being strict.

Visit LAS Skycamp page http://las-skycamp.org/index.php where you will find guidelines relating to social distancing, not sharing telescopes or eyepieces, etc.

Because of Covid restrictions there will be no organised events this year. It is purely like-minded astronomers going to the same place at the same time.

Please consider any risk to yourself and others if attending.  All visitors are expected to obey Covid government guidelines in force at the time of the Sky Camp. This may include travel restrictions at your home location or restrictions imposed on the North Norfolk coast.

Socially distance at 2 metres, or take additional steps to prevent transmission if closer than 2 m is unavoidable.

Do not congregate in groups of more than 6, inside or outside.

Groups should not mingle or swap members.

Do not share eyepieces or telescopes.

Wash or sanitise your hands frequently.

Wear a mask in the Centre (unless medically exempt).

There are no talks, raffle or telescope tour this year, so it is unlikely that Kelling Heath will welcome day visitors.

Kind regards

Loughton Astronomical Society

Loughton Astronomical Society

• Thanks 1

I was going to pop up for the day on Saturday.
I just tried to get hold of Kelling to ask, but was on the phone too long.
So I think I will have to miss coming up for a socially distance meet up with folks.
Have a good one those that are going / there. 

Hope you’re all having a great catch up. 
bit of a boring question is there a decent  mobile phone Vodafone reception there for Internet would  anyone know?

just so I can keep on watching my tutorials when I get there! 

3 hours ago, 8324689 said:

Hope you’re all having a great catch up. 
bit of a boring question is there a decent  mobile phone Vodafone reception there for Internet would  anyone know?

just so I can keep on watching my tutorials when I get there! 

4G on Vodafone works pretty well here now.

• Thanks 1

Just back from a different Kelling! Still enjoyable though, and good to catch up with people - suitably distanced of course!

The 'party' aspect was certainly much reduced, but of course, understandable! Fingers crossed we'll get back to a bit more normally next year....

The skies on the Tuesday night were very nice - certainly darker than at home, and a short burst on Friday was showing promise but alas it was not to be!

Still deciding on WinterFest, and possibly Spring.....

• Like 1

It were lovely to see you all again ok so the weather wasn't playing ball but still enjoyed it nonetheless & we did get some glimpses when the skies cleared a little, as been said already lets hope for a bit more normality next year!!!

On 19/10/2020 at 12:17, MikeWilson said:

I hope, one day to return :)

Stay safe everyone.

Hi Mike
I took time out from Astronomy around the same time as you, just getting back into it via observing, I'm shocked at all the tech thats available in the last 3 years!
Glad to see you active..
Guy 

• 2 weeks later...