SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1.25" to 2" adaptors

I've just spent a frustrating afternoon, lashing up various combinations for an Explore 102mm f7.  There will be more in another post about this.  Along the way, I examined my collection - 4, I think, 1.25" to 2" adaptors.  Every one has a loose locking screw.  I am not sure if it is the accuracy of the tap used, the die used on the screw, or the poor quality of either piece of metal - This is my guess.  probably the adaptor, as it doesn't get better when a stainless steel socket screw is used.  Why are they all so poor, and does anyone make decent ones?  I know that twist-lock/self centering ones are better, but if you want several, they cost a lot!

Trouble is with the screw lock type the screw is a small thread so will always likely feel it has some play. But you could buy quality like moonlite or feather touch etc or I imagine these from baader have nice quality screw locks if you don’t want the expense of click lock

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-2-to-125-reducer-adapter.html

or cheaper still

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-pushfix-2-125-reducer-1mm-optical-length.html

Im quite tempted by the last one- really low profile and if the screw lock is anything like the 1.25” to T2 baader adapter i have it’ll be silky smooth and play free. I don’t know if they use a plastic insert or sticky grease but it’s very pleasing to twiddle ;)

If you want the ultimate screw lock type there’s the Glatter Parallizer 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/howie-glatter-parallizer.html

which I hear is really good (made by feather touch)- it has ingenious “V-block” grooves machined in the walls which lock the ep and adapter into perfect axial parallelity in the focuser tube unlike all others- bit spendy  though!

Mark

Edited by markse68

My very amateur review of the Baader click lock attached.

Frankly I wouldn't be with out it now. I had my 200p out last night which has the standard 1.25 two thumb screw adapter on it. It was not very enjoyable using that adapter to lock my Morpheus eye piece in. The two screws were extremely fiddly  and I couldn't get my fingers around due to the large barrel of the Morpheus sitting tight against them.

I'm going to use my 300p tonight with the click lock adapter with the Morpheus eye piece. I am really looking forward to it.

I may consider purchasing the 2" version also!

Very good product for the money 👍

43 minutes ago, steerroger said:

Thanks everyone!  The Baader 1mm optical length might solve the problem that I mentioned on another thread.

Just bear in mind that you need a cutaway in the focuser drawtube to accommodate the set screw of that adapter.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Wish FLO would sell the StelaMira twist lock adapters seperatly. Work well and have a 20mm wide clamping area.

F9AC0488-3965-498F-B96C-2D3CBB30A6FD.jpeg

BB447214-18BC-4366-9819-3627E684A023.jpeg

How do these compare with the Baader ClickLoks?

The Antares is a lighter duty version with a plastic ring inside. The StellaMira is all metal with a better compression band design that is 20mm deep not 15mm as with the Antares.. 

Edited by johninderby

28 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I prefer it to the Baader Clicklock. Both are very good indeed but find the tightening action of the Stellamira just has more feel to it as it takes more of a turn to fully tighten.  Both are about equally easy to use though. 

Edited by johninderby

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I prefer it to the Baader Clicklock. Both are very good indeed but find the tightening action of the Stellamira just has more feel to it as it takes more of a turn to fully tighten.  Both are about equally easy to use though. 

As they don't appear to be available as separate items, is this similar?
https://www.astroshop.eu/reduction-rings-adaptors/omegon-2-1-25-twist-lock-adapter/p,45633

image.png.b4657ce406afde7a78f7dfed255f840a.png

Different band design. Can see two bands inside with a central bit with tapers on it so tightening the top ring makes the central bit squeeze the two rings together. Looks like the same arrangement as in the StellaMire drawtube.

60B71792-2883-41EA-9F69-BBE0CAF36459.jpeg

047FA4D7-D932-4633-AA7A-A0EF24F34A91.jpeg

5B013BBB-C4A2-4402-89AA-A5E0358625FB.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I like the arrangement that Baader use in the 1.25 - T2 click lock adapter:

Baader ClickLock 1.25 Inch Eyepiece Adapter with T-2 Thread

The 3 grip bars that run along the eyepiece barrel seem to be immune from getting snagged on undercuts and also hold barrels with a taper on them well too.

I wonder why they don't use this system in their 2 inch adapters as well ?

Perhaps it would be too bulky to implement in the larger diameter :icon_scratch:

• Like 1

I had a problem getting an eyepiece tight enough as the screw was in an awkward place and could not get a tight enough grip. My solution was an M4 x 20mm knurled head screw which allowed easier access but the unexpected added bonus was the extra length enabled me to get the screw really tight.

18 hours ago, John said:

Just bear in mind that you need a cutaway in the focuser drawtube to accommodate the set screw of that adapter.

Damn!  I thought it was a grub screw with a key.  I have a JMI one on an old 10" dob. It too needs a cutaway. I wonder it the grub screw method might work on that. 

23 hours ago, Pixies said:

The Baader Click-Lock is a nice adapter, but:

--the internal collet is narrow, not wide, and may hit the undercut on the eyepiece

--the 1.25" narrow section on the eyepiece above the undercut may not be supported at all (it depends), and certainly is not tightened against.

--the Baader has an undercut groove on its exterior, while the Antares has a smooth exterior.

IMO, the Antares is a better adapter, though I admire the machining on the Baader adapter.

Edited by Don Pensack