Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is my eyepiece set complete?

Dantooine

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

OK Dale, it’s been a week since your initial post, what eyepieces have changed since? 😉😂😉

Nothing. I’m very contented now. I have been sneakily using my Delos  3.5 when conditions allowed. I put eyepiece extenders on the 8 & 6 for perfect eye placement and these also make the weight of the lighter ones the same as the rest so I think I’m there at last thanks. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 29/07/2020 at 18:34, John said:

It's a really great set but ......

I would go for a 21mm Ethos instead of the 27mm Panoptic and I would want something shorter for good seeing conditions so why not the 3.7 Ethos as well.

Might as well make it all Ethos :icon_biggrin:

(well you did ask !)

Well.. here we are 2 1/2 months later. I’ve sold the pan 27 and added an APM 20 & Ethos 3.7mm. 
it’s a deep rabbit hole indeed. Only question now is will the TV’s start to bully the APM in the case 😩

• Like 1

What is it about the Pan you didn't like?  Was it just duplicating the 20mm APM's TFOV?

I would suggest a 30mm APM UFF to increase your exit pupil for when you're using nebula filters.  That, and the 70 degree field of view is easier to take in all at once than in a 100 degree eyepiece.  I retired my 27mm Pan in favor of the 30mm UFF.

1 hour ago, John said:

Unless you have a big, fast dobsonian, I think the APM will hold it's place.

Are you still using the Antares 1.6x barlow ?

I think the APM has a good following and it will please. 
I probably won’t be using the Antares. Do you want to evaluate it ?

Edited by Dantooine

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

What is it about the Pan you didn't like?  Was it just duplicating the 20mm APM's TFOV?

I would suggest a 30mm APM UFF to increase your exit pupil for when you're using nebula filters.  That, and the 70 degree field of view is easier to take in all at once than in a 100 degree eyepiece.  I retired my 27mm Pan in favor of the 30mm UFF.

I did like the pan but wanted to go with the 100 degrees. The APM was better than I thought it would be and is as wide as I’m going to use in my little frac. I think the pan is good for a wide eyepiece with a set of something like Delos and it went to the same person who had my Delos set from me.