Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

supplier of high quality plywood

Piero

Do you have any recommendations for a reliable supplier of high quality hardwood hardcore plywood in the UK (preferably)?

Thanks

Edited by Piero

What do you want the plywood for? 

I recently bought some marine ply from Jewsons and it was very high quality and while  nor cheap it was still cheaper than online suppliers.

Edited by johninderby

If you just need thin ply then the thin birch ply sold by model shops is ideal and comes in up to 1200mm x 1200mm sheets and 1/64” , 1/32”, 1/8” and 1/4 thickness.

Marine ply is ideal for dob bases though where you need something more robust.

Edited by johninderby

I built a dob base, a good few years back but the thread should still be in the DIY section.  I was told at the time to go for shopfitting ply as it's superior to marine ply, glued  under higher pressure and it'd last forever.

Edit; and here's the thread

Edited by Starflyer
  • Thanks 1

A top quality marine ply will outlast you. Marine ply is used as it doesn’t have voids in between the layers and is very strong. I have seen cheap marine ply that has poor quality outer layers which is important if you want a nice finish. 

Remember it’s the grade of ply that is important not just the type.

Edited by johninderby

Piero, Travis Perkins can supply Birch Plywood BB grade ply at 18 and 22 mm  thick, 2.4 x  1.22m m boards from what I recall. I used them to supply the wood for the Dob we built about 3 years ago and can highly recommend them as a supplier. BB has very few voids (practically none) and an excellent face finish , it is often used for furniture making. The best thing to do is to go to a TP depot and speak directly with the staff. Don't be put off they may not have it in their stock holding but they do have in their  inventory line although the may need to order it in . It is not sold often so they may identify say B/C grade first .  Be cautious the sheet material sold by the likes of the high street chains (B and Q etc ) is not the same it is a lower constructional grade. 

Jimlarge.5980cc40d619c_AltitudeBearing.jpg.e33d3ca5454c26e857ba4aa1b32efc26.jpglarge.5927332089482_Mirrorboxinwaiting.jpg.9c0a4d7eeedcbb20d78f596c81233efc.jpg

Edited by saac
  • Thanks 1

TheJewsons marine ply I used had no voids at all and very nice face finish. But as I previously mentioned there are different grades of marine ply so you have make sure you are getting the top grade. 

Jewson Marine ply  BS1088 (EN 314-2 Class 3 E1)

https://www.jewson.co.uk/p/essgee-sg-marine-plywood-fsc-2440-x-1220-18mm-PLYMBF18

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all guys, really helpful feedback. 

I will check out Jewsons and Travis Perkins as you suggested, now that the mirror cell for this 16" dob is completed.

My plan is to have a wall thickness of 12mm or 15mm for both the UTA rings and mirror box.

For an f4, I could probably go for 18mm and make it hyper sturdy! Kriege advises 5/8”, which is almost 16mm anyway.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

In the end I decided to get plywood panels from https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/ . Great customer service and very good sample.

For the time being, one B/BB board (12mm thickness, 9 plies) and one BB/BB board (15mm thickness, 11 plies). I will glue boards to get more thickness for the rocker box.

My order from Randy (Astrosystems) should arrive soon and truss attachments are already ready. So, it should not take me much time to make the UTA.

Thank you, everyone, for your advice

• Like 1