Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue Set Increases By 50%

The 4mm DeLite has arrived!  Great optics and appearance, sliding/locking eye guard, large eye lens, and 20mm eye relief - important for a specs user.  The latter point - plus the lightness (300g, inc. 2" adaptor) are important to me, so I am happy with the 62deg AFOV, especially in a high mag eyepiece.

Really keen to put it into action - report to follow.

Doug.

P1080275.JPG

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 9

The DeLites are almost doppelgangers for the Radians, aren't they?  Hopefully, they don't have the SAEP of the Radians.  I was excited with the arrival of the Radians in 1998, but I couldn't get them to work for me in daylight due to SAEP (kidneybeaning), so I never bought any and stuck with the Pentax XLs.

I've owned 2 Radians, the 4mm and the 3mm. I liked the 3mm but I could not get on with the 4mm oddly enough :rolleyes2:

I tried two 4mm's and felt the same about both :dontknow:

I'd definitely like to try some of the DeLites. They get excellent reviews :smiley:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

The DeLites are almost doppelgangers for the Radians, aren't they?  Hopefully, they don't have the SAEP of the Radians.  I was excited with the arrival of the Radians in 1998, but I couldn't get them to work for me in daylight due to SAEP (kidneybeaning), so I never bought any and stuck with the Pentax XLs.

The Delites do not.  No one seems to have any issues with eye placement except the inevitable person who doesn't use glasses and doesn't adjust the eyeguard up and experiences blackouts by getting inside the exit pupil.

Color presentation is also more balanced--no one describes the Delites as "warm" in tint.

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

The Delites do not.  No one seems to have any issues with eye placement except the inevitable person who doesn't use glasses and doesn't adjust the eyeguard up and experiences blackouts by getting inside the exit pupil.

Color presentation is also more balanced--no one describes the Delites as "warm" in tint.

Sounds like a winner this time around.

23 hours ago, Louis D said:

Sounds like a winner this time around.

One more thing:

The eye lens on the Delites is oversized.  The apparent field doesn't need the entire lens.

So they built an iris into the eyecup that covers the very outer edge of the eye lens.

When the eyecup is raised, as nearly everyone who doesn't wear glasses will do, the iris creates a "light trap", i.e. no peripheral light can reach the eye lens.

This improves contrast to almost the same degree as draping a black cloth over the head, or cupping your hands around the eyepiece, to block all light except that from the eyepiece.

And is one of the reasons contrast is so amazing in these eyepieces.

DeLites get deservedly good reviews, no doubt great eyepieces.

However, I do think that TV overthought the adjustable eyeguard - same with the Instadjust on Radians & T4 Naglers.

For me a well engineered screw type eyeguard would have been simpler and better.  Not a deal breaker for DeLites of course.

Ed.

I didn't like the instajust feature of the Radian's and T4 Naglers and find the system that the Delos (and presumably Delites) use much better.

Once I've found "my" position though, that's it. The top section of the eyepiece is locked in place and stays there.

The issue with the instajust system on the Radian's and T4's was that it could slip out of place too easily as you pick the eyepiece up by the top section and even make you feel as if you had dropped the eyepiece as the internal barrel slipped down a few notches :shocked:

• Like 1

Hi John, thanks that’s interesting.  I’ve only briefly looked through a borrowed 9mm DeLite and liked what I saw, but nothing like long term ownership to fully evaluate.

If the Instadjust on Radians is slack it can be user fixed, a bit fiddly but I’ve done several.  There’s an internal spring that runs on indentations, the spring can be closed for a firm action.

Ed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

If the Instadjust on Radians is slack it can be user fixed, a bit fiddly but I’ve done several.  There’s an internal spring that runs on indentations, the spring can be closed for a firm action....

Thanks Ed. I did that with the Radians and the 22mm Nagler T4 that I used to own and it did help.