Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Least desirable scope ever ?

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Or for a slightly different SW Esprit. 😁

4A55D29D-8DB4-4904-9A07-9261DDE8A5AA.jpeg

Wow, does that colour clash with the green dovetail, or what??!!

But if it is glow in the dark paint I might stop bumping my head on them in the dome.🤕

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

You must be the most inoffensive person on SGL John - after me of course.  

Mike,

While I totally agree with the first part of the above, your last 4 words made me literally laugh out loud!!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Cited before sometime... But Mr. Helvelius' telescope? (Just spotted the "Button Boy"!) 🙀

Helvelius.jpg.94ad0e41b795367cf788ea5e05a2d435.jpg

And the matching camera..

world_s_largest_camera__chicago__illinois.thumb.jpg.3682ed10b397796196f0a94a32aacdbf.jpg

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Anne S said:

Does it show up in the dark?

I think you need to get the led light set for it. I can see it now. A ring of leds around the front of  the dewshield that flash and change colour. 😁😁😁

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I think you need to get the led light set for it. I can see it now. A ring of leds around the front of  the dewshield that flash and change colour. 😁😁😁

No star parties then!

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Ah but they could be usefull to keep sight of the Mercedes. 😁

With a short focal length like that, as things stand,  it's going to need a small focal length eyepiece to keep track of the silver/black machines.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alfian said:

With a short focal length like that, as things stand,  it's going to need a small focal length eyepiece to keep track of the silver/black machines.

And barlowed to see the the redbull

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Robindonne said:

For some strange reason they don’t perform well lately🤔

D3AA7569-0F32-4816-A6F5-5AAE949874E7.jpeg

Ah, beaten to it! As I am an Aston Martin fan (used to work on them as a mechanic), I was going to say the WO Ferrari edition is the least desirable scope, but an Aston scope would fall apart just as quickly😀

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, John said:

The colour of the scope was only small one part of the package of the scope that I linked to. The specification of the scope, the mount and it's price all added up to what I felt was a poor deal for the budding astronomer. If the price had been £25 then I would not have thought to mention it.

I suspect that I've no chance of redeeming this thread though so fair enough. Apologies to those who I might have inadvertetly offended.

As the saying goes, "the first thing to do when you are in a hole is to stop digging"  :rolleyes2:

Oh dear. Can't we even insult inanimate objects now? Truly it seems the end of any sort of deprecating humour is nigh. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Oh dear. Can't we even insult inanimate objects now? Truly it seems the end of any sort of deprecating humour is nigh. 

Totally agree. Surely there’s room for a tiny bit of levity in an Internet forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgive my sometimes perverse sense of humour but thinking about voicing the outwardly "undesirable" for  some reason the song by 10cc "I'm not in love" came to mind. "I'm not in love, so don't forget it, its just a silly phase I'm going through ..." etc. 

So ...  the 102F11 ED I've happened to sometimes mention a few times, its nothing, so don't make a big deal of it, "don't make a fuss, don't tell your friends".  And as to the picture of the  Takahashi FC100 I have on the wall  it just "hides a nasty stain that's lying there".   - cue hushed whispered voice "be quiet, big boys don't cry, big boys don't cry ..."

hmmm this thread is making me wonder which day-glo paint colour I should use when I come to refurb the TAL-1 one day. Too late for the TAL-M as that's already painted and close to reassembled, just waiting on the mirrors to dry off. Maybe some form of metallic pearlescent hot rod colour scheme, purple and gold flake...perhaps? 😉 

Edited by DaveL59

25 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

hmmm this thread is making me wonder which day-glo paint colour I should use when I come to refurb the TAL-1 one day. Too late for the TAL-M as that's already painted and close to reassembled, just waiting on the mirrors to dry off. Maybe some form of metallic pearlescent hot rod colour scheme, purple and gold flake...perhaps? 😉 

When I revamped my Tal1 I used black carbon fibre wrap which didn't work out quite as well as I would have liked but it was OK. Wrap comes in various colours so could lend itself to a more creative finish. 

8 minutes ago, Alfian said:

When I revamped my Tal1 I used black carbon fibre wrap which didn't work out quite as well as I would have liked but it was OK. Wrap comes in various colours so could lend itself to a more creative finish. 

Did think about wraps, but the need to rotate the OTA in the tube rings I thought would be an area where it'd start to lift and tear away so wouldn't look great after a short time. Powder coat was another possible, but seems that can add 0.5mm or so to the dimensions and during lockdown not so easy to go see people to price up etc. A simple flat paint coat is reasonably DIY even with limited place to do the spray work - the shed in my case, the TAL-M has turned out reasonably well so far tho I did go through several cans to get a nice finish lol

14 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Here's mine....
type1.thumb.JPG.e54d0aeffe11e28e0c119faec8dc8361.JPG  303093583_type6.thumb.JPG.5efef805744304848a6211d1e715628e.JPG

...and using with an e/p that says TeleVue😜

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Did think about wraps, but the need to rotate the OTA in the tube rings I thought would be an area where it'd start to lift and tear away so wouldn't look great after a short time. Powder coat was another possible, but seems that can add 0.5mm or so to the dimensions and during lockdown not so easy to go see people to price up etc. A simple flat paint coat is reasonably DIY even with limited place to do the spray work - the shed in my case, the TAL-M has turned out reasonably well so far tho I did go through several cans to get a nice finish lol

I would have preferred to have painted mine but it was cold and damp with no sign of it changing, and had no where out of the house that was dry where I could paint , so C/F effect wrap it was. Managed to find this photo from an old post of mine.

Tal finished 2.JPG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I would have preferred to have painted mine but it was cold and damp with no sign of it changing, and had no where out of the house that was dry where I could paint , so C/F effect wrap it was. Managed to find this photo from an old post of mine.

Tal finished 2.JPG

Looks nice, like the red stars to finish the job too, shame we can't easily get a TAL logo sticker, almost tempted to find a hammer and sickle one 😉 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 17:07, John said:

It's OK guys, you can get very similar, but cheaper elsewhere.

So less of a worry that you are buying rubbish? :rolleyes2:

It is in stock in the UK too, but not the pink one. Telescope house. 

• Like 1