Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Least desirable scope ever ?

I don't know John, pink used to be a boys colour before those bullying girls nabbed it for themselves. This might be one that catches Stu's eye, as its one refractor he hasn't yet got in his growing armoury. :happy11:

• Haha 4

Bausch and Lomb Criterion 4000. by a country light-year.  Mid 80's vintage, built without any regard at all for quality control, optically an utter dog of a scope.  Diffraction patterns like a thumbprint. Strangely the mechanics we actually quite good. 

I kept mine for 10 years knowing I could not sell it on with a clear conscience.  Eventually I binned it down the local tip and actually relished the sound of breaking glass as I chucked it in, knowing I had an excuse to go and get something decent! Put me off SCTs for life.

Edited by rl
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rl said:

Bausch and Lomb Criterion 4000. Mid 80's vintage, built without any regard at all for quality control, optically an utter dog of a scope.  Diffraction patterns like a thumbprint. Strangely the mechanics we actually quite good. 

I kept mine for 10 years knowing I could not sell it on with a clear conscience.  Eventually I binned it down the local tip and actually relished the sound of breaking glass as I chucked it in, knowing I had an excuse to go and get something decent! Put me off SCTs for life.

I very nearly bought one of those from BC&F. And a little later the 6 inch version.

So glad that I didn't :rolleyes2:

Perhaps a subject for another thread "Scopes that were so bad you chucked them away" !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This one gets my vote, what with speculum mirrors that tarnished before your very eyes, and surely the most hard to use, restricted movement mount ever devised, plus siting it in the middle of Ireland, I truly marvel how Lord Rosse and co-workers ever managed to see anything at all. 

559E11D8-EDEA-4EDA-AA86-17F5C0E93410.jpeg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tomato said:

This one gets my vote, what with speculum mirrors that tarnished before your very eyes, and surely the most hard to use, restricted movement mount ever devised, plus siting it in the middle of Ireland, I truly marvel how Lord Rosse and co-workers ever managed to see anything at all. 

559E11D8-EDEA-4EDA-AA86-17F5C0E93410.jpeg

I can see a few plusses though...

No problems with planning permission..

Even an ES 30MM with coma corrector won't upset the balance..

No meridian flip...

No barlow lens required..

The gantry up to the eyepiece has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi..

• Haha 5

I dont think anyone has reason to be so smug just because they might think their  own telescopes are the cats whiskers.  If it wasn't for all the people who have toiled ever since the early 17th century, we wouldn't have the fabulous variety and quality of telescopes we have today.  There had to be a lot of mistakes made in the development of the telescope to get to where we are now.

Personally, I'm thankful to all who were part of this journey. 🙂

18 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I dont think anyone has reason to be so smug just because they might think their  own telescopes are the cats whiskers.... 

That was not really the point I was making Paul :rolleyes2:

• Like 3

The point I was trying to make about the Leviathan of Parsonstown was despite it’s significant shortcomings, amazing advances in astronomy were made principally by the dedication and perseverance of these early pioneers. We are fortunate indeed to be living at a time when technology makes observations/images available to us that Lord Rosse and his contemporaries could only dream of.

• Like 2

In it’s day the Leviathan was actually the most desireable telescope on earth. It was a great leap in what could be observed and while by todays standards limited and primative it pushed the boundaries of what was possible in its day and deserves respect for what it achived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last week I ended up buying a pink fishing rod for my son, as it was the only colour left.  He ended up catching just as many fish as I did with my black rod.  (He’s only 4).

I assume telescopes are the same. My epsilon is a daft yellow colour for example but works ok.

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 5

The colour of the scope was only small one part of the package of the scope that I linked to. The specification of the scope, the mount and it's price all added up to what I felt was a poor deal for the budding astronomer. If the price had been £25 then I would not have thought to mention it.

I suspect that I've no chance of redeeming this thread though so fair enough. Apologies to those who I might have inadvertetly offended.

As the saying goes, "the first thing to do when you are in a hole is to stop digging"  :rolleyes2:

• Like 5