Narrowband

WOW,

mantoast

As Im in a apartment, I've had to open my windows and point my scope out to view objects, but for the first time lastnight I took it to a friends and sat in the back garden on a great clear sky and WOW.

To say its a cheap £40 telescope, I couldnt believe what I could see on the moon.

This has really got me hooked into wanting to taking photos. I used my 9mm Eyepiece and a 3X Barlow lens, and WOW.... I could see everything.

Also... a side question... if I got a webcam would I only see the moon at normal size? and if I zoomed in would it just be digital zoom?

you can still use a barlow in conjunction with the web cam. since you are using the optics of the telescope there is no digital zoom. It is normal when using a webcam to remove itslensand replace it with a nose piece so it can be attached to the telescope. focusing is then achieved the same way as using an eyepiece.. :hello2:

Hi Mantoast

Same for me. Last night was the first time I looked at the moon through a scope. Wow is an understatement. Have you looked in the Primers and Tutorials section of the forum. There is a good posting there were you can download a PDF lunar map and then down load a list of the 100 marked sites.

Terry

you can still use a barlow in conjunction with the web cam. since you are using the optics of the telescope there is no digital zoom. It is normal when using a webcam to remove its lens and replace it with a nose piece so it can be attached to the telescope. focusing is then achieved the same way as using an eyepiece.. :hello2:

So do you think I would be better off buying a ring for my Canon Power Shot SX10 to attach it to the scope, so I can use the 20X optical zoom on it?

Its pretty hard to explain but I'll have a go. I presume you mean prime focus, directly attaching the camera minus lens via a T adaptor to the 2" eyepiece holder. if this is the case it can prove difficult if there is not enough travel in or out on your telescopes crayford, meaning you can not bring an image to focus - I have this problem with my Nikon D80, however by using an adapter (with an eyepiece inside it) between the camera and crayford, I can achieve focus (think this is then called Afocal photography).I have no knowledge of your particular make of camera so I think a bit of trial and error is normal. The beauty of digital of course is it doesn't matter if you take a rubbish photo as you can just delete it at no expense. If you can practice in the day time on a distant telegraph pole or other object you will soon see if your camera will work attached in a particular way. Now as if that isn't confusing enough, there are experienced people on here who will move the primary mirror up in the OTA tube so the overall focal length of the system is reduced thus allowing a camera attached for prime focus to beusable/achieve focus, but the exact position of the mirror at first would I think be achieved by trial and error.It really is a steep learning curve but with help from the gurus in here you will soon pick the basics up. Don't hesitate to ask, make use of the knowledge on here, all of us had to start at the bottom, but most of all make it fun and don't get disheartened when it goes wrong as it inevitably will once in a while. :hello2:

Ok just done a quick google of your camera and the lens is not removable. This means prime focus photography won't be easy if at all possible. the problem with the camera is how do you attach it to the telescope, as the idea in principal is to remove the cameras optics and use the telescopes. In effect the telescope (SW200P) becomes a giant 1000mm lens. TheCanon Power Shot SX10 is what is known as a bridging digital camera, a sort of halfway between a compact and true DSLR. If you attach the camera via it's lens how do you focus? as normally the lens rotates whilst focusing, since this will be fixed (to the telescope) the camera body will have to rotate instead. therefore I would not advise to attach the camera in this manner. You maybe better with one of thesehttp://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=swinivcamadaptorthe bracket clamps around the eyepiece holder and camera is bolted to the bracket which is then adjusted so the lens is pointing down as close as possible to the eyepiece. Alternatively a good, simple starting point maybe to piggy back the camera on the telescope so it uses the mounts tracking capabilities, thus allowing you to use all the cameras features like 20x optical zoom.Personally I would go the webcam route, suitable ones don't have to break the bank and unmodded ones can be used for planets and the moon. Phew, I nearly confused myself there for a minute... :scratch:

• 2 weeks later...

i think the moon is always a delight to see though any small telescope.

I know high street telescopes have recieved bad press, but i started with one of those.

I think for a telescope NOT to show detailed views of the moon, would have to be pretty poor.

Its the first astronomical object i saw, and will never forget!

Archived