Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this object?

Aziz

Hello,

I am a new observer and I saw this object and could not identify it. I believe it’s some kind of comet or so. It was next to Jupiter. Can anyone tell what is this? Thanks!

0EE6C309-57F3-4EE1-A074-D4835A7C36F7.jpeg

A tiny meteor, or satellite flare. Comets have a distinct head, or nucleus, and almost always a tail streaming away opposite the sun. Sometimes a dust tail and an ion tail. That’s my call anyway.

rS

• Thanks 1

The photo is way out of focus on Jupiter but the artifact has sharp edges ?

I would suspect an optical artifact.

We need to know a lot more information about the equipment used and the circumstances of the image (time, conditions, location) etc before reaching a definite judgement though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, John said:

The photo is way out of focus on Jupiter but the artifact has sharp edges ?

I would suspect an optical artifact.

We need to know a lot more information about the equipment used and the circumstances of the image (time, conditions, location) etc before reaching a definite judgement though.

Thanks John! Jupiter was out of focus since I tried to focus on the object. It makes since That it is an optical artifact because the shape changed from a curved ends (short length) to a pointy edges (long length).

i used 80mm - 500fl - k20. Morgantown, WV at 10:10pm. Attached is another picture earlier in stage. 

AA94D95F-85BB-4836-BBF3-4A8030A18A8F.jpeg

6A409125-3BB0-492D-A6BC-27FC09BF2AA0.jpeg

Was this visible through the eyepiece ?

Where is Morgantown, NV ?

(sorry, I'm UK based)

If it was an astro object (eg: a comet) it would be effectively at the around the same distance as Jupiter so you would not need to re-focus ?