sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Dual speed focuser for skywatcher 8inch dob

Hi all. 

I've been pondering over the idea of upgrading the standard focuser on my 200p to a dual speed one. This one: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-crayford-1252-inch-focuser-for-skywatcher-explorer.html 

This is primarily due to my frustration when observing the planets, especially when the seeing isn't great. I really need that extra tiny bit of precise focus, and the focuser I currently have just moves that notch too much when I try and fine tune. Do you guys think it's worth going for one of these? Also how easy is it to attach a new focuser? I don't want to go recking my scope by dropping screws onto the mirror 😅

Many thanks,

Thomas 

That would work....

But as an alternative which would give you fine control of focusing as well as minimising vibrations during focus, what about adding a SW electronic motor?

Simple to fit, and easy to use.

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/skywatcher-electric-focus-motor/?v=322b26af01d5TS102_focus_motor.JPG.5de01b10772e78ac195a02384e402c78.JPG

( I use a belt drive to the 10:1 knob for even finer focus control)

Just my 2c

1 hour ago, almcl said:

A slightly cheaper alternative is to fit the Lacerta dual speed upgrade kit

Took me about 10 minutes to fit; the fitting instructions (which are very good) probably took slightly longer to absorb.

+1 for the Lacerta focuser, I fitted the very same one on my SW Dob. Easy to follow instructions and as almcl says, only takes 10- 15 minutes.

Make sure you tilt your scope into a horizontal position when fitting to avoid anything falling onto your mirror.

Another suggestion is to fit a big knob on the existing focusser - the knobs come off fairly easily with a grub screw.  I have a tame metal worker with a lathe and he made me this from a billet of aluminium:

IMG_4112a.jpg

Hi.

I have this focuser fitted to my 300p it is a very good focuser. Being a skywatcher product it literally took 5-10mins to swap over.  As mentioned by Geoff above, make sure the scope Is horizontal when swapping the focuser over as the four nuts are very small and I did drop one of mine, no harm done though as it just sat in the tube.

the weight is very similar to the standard focuser so it didn't add any additional weight to the top end of the scope.

It works really well. The smaller nobs are easier to use than the large wheels on the standard focuser.  You can easily focus with the coarse focus then fine tune for perfect views.

Mine was a bit tight and stuck a bit at first when adjusting the focus, however it did loosen up and now moves freely/smooth.

Regards

baz

• Like 1

I've just got the standard one speed focuser on my 200P.  I seldom have a problem focusing on an object, only if there's hazy cloud.  What advantage would there be for me in getting one?  Sorry for hijacking the thread...

4 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

I've just got the standard one speed focuser on my 200P.  I seldom have a problem focusing on an object, only if there's hazy cloud.  What advantage would there be for me in getting one?  Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Finer focusing. When i fitted it to my 200p it was a very worthy upgrade to allow that extra fine control getting focus made me realise i was viewing things a tad out of focus sometimes

Edited by PaulM

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lenscap
      If anyone is looking for a used Skyliner 200p dobsonian there is one for sale in Bridgnorth, on Facebook Marketplace.
      No connection with seller.
    • By Ade Turner
      Now I’ve managed to sort out control of my EQ6-R Pro using Stellarium via EQASCOM, I’m working my way through the other equipment I want to control from my Windows 7 laptop.
      I’m stuck trying to get my Celestron focuser to be recognised. This is what I’ve done so far:
      Downloaded the Celestron Focuser Utility Program (.exe file) from here: https://www.celestron.com/pages/manuals-software Also downloaded the December 2019 USB ASCOM driver set up from above. I ran the ASCOM driver set up and restarted the laptop. Connected focuser direct to laptop via USB. The focuser’s power light shows red and in Windows control panel it recognises the device as ‘Celestron Focuser’ but indicates no driver present. Ran the Celestron focuser utility program hoping it would connect and install the right driver so I could calibrate, but it can’t detect the focuser at all. Finally, ran APT to see if I could connect by choosing the ASCOM driver under ‘Gear’ but this doesn’t work either. Stuck now. I’m guessing I need to somehow ‘tell’ Windows where the driver is...? 
      Any thoughts? Thanks everyone
      🙂

EDIT: I have previously had this focuser working correctly both with StarSense handset and via ASCOM (Celestron unified driver) through the aux on my old Evolution mount. However, now I’ve changed to a Sky-Watcher mount, I need it to function direct through USB.
    • By WiltsStarGazer
      Hi,
      having started with a 130P on an eq mount.I wanted something with more light gathering on a alt-azimuth mount. I didn't want to go down the Dob route although that would have been a lot easier and cheaper.🙄
      So I have now got a 200P on a Skytee on a Manfrotto tripod.
      My question is why do all the pictures I have seen of this set up have the scope side mount rather than the top mount.
      Is it just a question of weight if you also add counterweights under the top mount? I understand the recommended max weight is 10kg per mount although some places say 15kg.
      As it is a lot easier to mount the scope on the top mount than the side one (I nearly dropped it on the first attempt) and it seems counterintuitive to have the weight of the scope hanging off the side mount instead of sitting on top of the top one.
      Thanks.

• By starman-scott
      Hi, I have changed the focuser on my newtonian but its too short.
      I realise that I can just add an extension tube to it but I’m not sure if that is the best solution.
      I also seem to have have a stray light problem (I’m getting a hazy image on a 5mm eyepiece).
      A third problem is that I find it quite cumbersome that the focuser has to stick out so far (155mm+eyepiece).
      I wonder if I might solve the stay light problem by extending the main telescope tube instead of the focuser and therefore getting the eyepiece closer to the secondary. And also maintain more precision in the focuser by not extending it.
      As it stands the focuser would have to come out 265mm from the centre of the secondary mirror in order to focus. The secondary is 50mm wide. From primary to secondary is 950mm approx.. The primary is 200mm Thanks for reading. Any advice will be much appreciated.

• By wavydavy
      Originally brought for my C11 HD Edge, which its made for, but if used with filter wheel, OAG, and 0.7 focal reducer the spacing is to far out, hence the reluctant sale of this A+ Condition, unused (other than to see if it worked) focuser. The price includes special delivery. Bank transfer, paypal is ok, or cash/collect...ect... The price is £200. This would be great for planetary imaging, imaging without using an OAG, bringing the travel closer. Thanks for looking.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.