Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

DSC_0119.JPG

Try manual and set exposure gradually faster til details appear. 

7 hours ago, Starbuddypal said:

I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

DSC_0119.JPG

How are you using your Nikon? Is it on a tripod with camera lense or attached to a telescope in some way?
If on a tripod with lense, what is the focal length, ie what number in mm are you using. My kit lense which at its shortest is 18mm and longest 55mm will literally only give me tiny spots of lights for the planets.

A much longer lense like 200mm will be better but I doubt if you will see anything more than the disk and perhaps the moons as points of light.

To photograph the planets in more detail you will need to attach your camera body to a telescope and use a Barlow for extra magnification. You are also going to need to put your camera settings to manual. I would advise looking on the Imaging Planetary section on this site.

Marvin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By laks20
      I really want to buy this as I have a old sky watcher and its not great for astro photography.  What kind of mount goes with this? And what other accessories will I need to think of . 
    • By 3rkunt
      Hello,

I am pretty new to this forum. Well, have been following it for quite a while but this is the first time I am writing something.

I am selling my ASI 1600MM Pro that I bought from FLO on February 2020. It has been a great camera, and even with my Celestron NexStar 8SE scope and Bortle Class 8, it gave me great results. It doesn't have any mechanical or other problem, the reason I am selling this is to move to a new camera

Let me know if you are interested in.

The price I have in my mind is £1000.

Here are some pictures I took with this camera ;

• By billyb93
      I currently have a Canon T6 with a Opteka 500mm f8 lens ($87) that I use for lunar and solar photography. I recently purchased a full frame Canon EOS R and am thinking about getting a 800mm f11 Canon RF lens ($899). Will the quality on the new canon lens be significantly better than my Opteka lens? Is it worth the upgrade? Also, should I use my new full frame or my crop sensor (1.6 factor) to shoot? I want to get the best quality possible. 
    • By Astrid
      After a few months of getting used to my new 8 inch beast, I decided to start astrophotography (luckily today is Black Friday in most tech shops in my country). So I decided to drop the idea of buying a DSLR and started thinking about getting a webcam. The thing is that I want to try deepsky AP, so i was wondering, is there a webcam that could get me good results for DSO AP? Don't worry, I don't want anything too fancy because I'll be happy with entry-level images. (i saw some nice Andromeda pictures with 20GBP cameras on this forum so I'm confident that it would work).
      My budget is ±100 GBP, which in my opinion is more than enough for a good webcam . So... is it worth getting a webcam? Or is there something better? Should I wait and raise more money for a DSLR?

Thanks a lot!
      Astrid 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.