Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

DSC_0119.JPG

Try manual and set exposure gradually faster til details appear. 

7 hours ago, Starbuddypal said:

I'm trying to get a photo of Jupiter and Saturn with my Nikon D3000 DSLR but I can't get anything clear. I attached the kind of photos I'm getting with my camera. They end up being too bright and no distinguishable features show up. Is it even possible for my Nikon to get photos of planetary objects like Saturn and Jupiter?

DSC_0119.JPG

How are you using your Nikon? Is it on a tripod with camera lense or attached to a telescope in some way?
If on a tripod with lense, what is the focal length, ie what number in mm are you using. My kit lense which at its shortest is 18mm and longest 55mm will literally only give me tiny spots of lights for the planets.

A much longer lense like 200mm will be better but I doubt if you will see anything more than the disk and perhaps the moons as points of light.

To photograph the planets in more detail you will need to attach your camera body to a telescope and use a Barlow for extra magnification. You are also going to need to put your camera settings to manual. I would advise looking on the Imaging Planetary section on this site.

Marvin

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By beka
      Hi All,
      I took the following images of Jupiter and Saturn with my CPC 1100 scope and my NexImage planetary imager (old no. 93712 640 x 480 model). Seeing was generally bad with the planet dancing all over the place but there were brief sharp moments. I took about 10000 frames at 15 fps. using oacapture.  When I first tried to stack using AS!3 (AutoStakkert 3) using Wine on Linux, I found that it would not open compressed AVI files so after some Google searches and reading through forums, I found that I could use ffmpeg to convert the AVI file to a series of jpg images. Unfortunately AS!3 crashed when I tried opening maybe 100 or so images, but I later found I could convert the compressed AVI to uncompressed AVI which it opened and stacked (with basically just the default settings and about 25% of the frames) without problems, I deconvoluted with rawtherapee ,and finally used the unsharp mask of Gimp a little. While I am not unhappy with the results I think I could have done better had I used my Bahtinov mask for focusing and initially captured to an uncompressed AVI.
      Thanks for looking!

• By astrosathya
      Recently I had belt modded my HEQ5-PRO and last night i gave it a full run and i was absolutely stunned to say the least about the guiding results I achieved. I was left wondering if its even too good to be true! 
      Below are Before and After images of guiding.

• By Balage
      Hi guys,
      I am a newbie on this forum, this is my first topic here but I would like to show you my recent planetary imaging results. I started to catch the planets with a dedicated planetary camera last month but never thought that a small 4" Maksutov can show such small details. The equpment I used:
      SW 102/1300 Maksutov 2.25x Q-turret Barlow lens QHY5L-II color camera EQ-3 GOTO mount All the images were taken on differend countrysides in Hungary. I hope you will like it
      Also, please share your images taken with similar OTA, I'd like to learn some tricks from others as well  

Jupiter's 15 minutes of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, processed in AS!3, Registax and WinJUPOS (2020.08.21)

Saturn, 1 hours stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax (2020.09.05)

Mars, 3 hours of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax. (2020.08.22)

Mars again, 5 minutes stacked in AS!3, processed in Registax. You can see also Olympus Mons and Arsia Mons next to the terminator  (2020.09.05)

Finally, a result of a Hungarian star party where I learned how to use properly my equipment  This time I borrowed an ADC for Saturn.

• By Dantooine
      Looked out the window and some gaps in cloud showed planets. Excited I set up ASAP out facing south. (It’s been a while). 

Put a moon filter on my 4.7E and aimed at Jupiter. I thought I had a bit of dust on the lens but carried on anyway.  

I could only see 2 moons. The longer I looked it became evident That the dust was black and realised as steady views came it was one of the moons moving across the disc. First time I have seen this so very pleased. Also almost touching the planet to the left I could see another moon appears the longer I look.
      Moved to Saturn and things were a little wobbly but once it settled I could see the planets shadow on the back of the rings.
      Mars was now above my hedge and at 150x I could see dark patches on the lower half and brightness at the top so maybe I was seeing ice at last. Very small but very nice to see at random opportunity. All in all well worth the dashing setup. I can go to bed happy with what I have seen. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.