Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simple Comet Image Stacking Tutorial (DSS)

I was a little daunted by comet image stacking after taking a bunch of close ups of Neowise, so I did some research, and pieced together what I believe is the simplest method for comet stacking in Deep Sky Stacker. 

There seems to be a few ways of doing it but I struggled to follow some of the videos so I thought I'd attempt my own. I'm hoping it will be straightforward to follow even for a beginner, that was the goal anyway. 

***Sorry about the audio levels between 00:30 and 3:30, I got copy right claimed for the backing music (despite getting it from a well known royalty free subscription site!) When YouTube removed the music they messed up the audio.*** 

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 2

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for the video. Complete beginner and I followed this video to the letter and it worked a treat 😁

One question though, does DSS over expose the final export image? Should I have adjusted the sliders before exporting or is it just my rubbish image! It was very bright when I saved it to desktop and had to bring everything back down in Lightroom. 

Thanks again

Frankie 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frankiej90 said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for the video. Complete beginner and I followed this video to the letter and it worked a treat 😁

One question though, does DSS over expose the final export image? Should I have adjusted the sliders before exporting or is it just my rubbish image! It was very bright when I saved it to desktop and had to bring everything back down in Lightroom. 

Thanks again

Frankie 

Hi Frankie, no problem, glad it was useful. I answer all your questions in the video and even show you how to correct the over exposed levels in DSS. Watch from 4:15 on wards and all will become clear :)

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, very useful.  I stacked my Neowise previously without identifying the comet in each light frame and think that is the reason I ended up lines across my image.  I am restacking as I type. 

• Like 1