EOS 350D on my 350p dob

PaulM

Just took delivery of a used EOS 350D and t ring adaptor which fits on my 350p skywatcher dob fine as in the photo

Just pointed it as a cloudy bright sky and the screen is blank/black menus show fine

Was expecting to see something even just a general white screen put the dial wheel on landscape and selected a few different ISO settings from 200 to 800

Could you advise if this is ok and if so what general setting to start with I have no idead about DSLRs or cameras so a dummies guide would be great !!! Obviously with no tracking im hopeful i can image planets , moon, star clusters and fingers crossed bright nebula

Any help would be really appreciated as like the screen on my camera im in the dark on all this 

20200725_144111.jpg

20200725_144040.jpg

20200725_144034.jpg

4 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Two things:

1. The 350D doesn't have a liveview function, so you need to take a photo to see an image.
2. Check the camera's custom function menu to enable shooting without a lens.

Thanks that makes sense as when i took an image just now I got a white screen.

Where would I check to enable shooting without a lens?

Hi Paul

I suggest you have a session during the day.

Focus on Newtonians can be a problem - will the focuser go in, or out, far enough to get focus?

Try getting focus on the moon, it's up during in the afternoon until about 22:00 at present

Lock the focuser on that setting, take an image on the AV setting.

If it looks okay, move onto a night session.

Point at the moon and take another AV shot - still okay ?

Now move dial to B setting and ISO to 400 and start taking images of say M31, north-east in the sky.

If your Dob isn't motor driven you'll have to play with the exposure time to avoid getting elongated stars.

I don't think any Canon has a shoot without lens setting - try taking a shot with the camera off the scope on the AV setting, should fire.

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Thanks 1