Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your highest power E/P and how often does it get used

lee g

14 hours ago, Louis D said:

Speers is for Canadian optical designer Glenn Speers.  Due to the unfavorable exchange rates between US and Canadian dollars, he wanted to create a home-grown line of affordable wide field eyepieces for Canadians who couldn't afford Tele Vue Naglers.

Thanks Louis. Interesting heritage.

i don’t suppose he came from a long line of Newfoundland whalers, did he?

🙂

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 1

I've used my 3.2mm eyepiece a couple of times, mostly on the moon and Venus.  The results were amazing, when conditions allowed!  It gives me a magnification of 375x, I've even used it with a 2x Barlow...

20200425_110859.thumb.jpg.45a9d61031ddab3e0ef26f6adf3c6e3b.jpg

Edited by Guest

My shortest eyepiece is a 2.5mm Vixen SLV which gives a 0.5mm exit pupil in f5 scopes. It is very rarely used. The commonly used high power eyepieces for me are... 

A 4.5mm Delos gets used very often in my 102mm f7 refractor.

12mm Delos gets used often with the C8.

A 10mm Delos gets used a lot with the VX14.

• Like 2

Like @Paz my highest power EP is the 2.5mm SLV. I knew it wouldn't get a lot of general use, bought it primarily for lunar and planetary use with my 12 inch f4.9 SW Dob, giving 600x magnification. With it being our usual cloudy wet winter here I have only had a couple of chances to use it on the moon and the views were incredible. 

Itching to use it on Saturn and Mars in the forthcoming weeks as we go into spring, with the planets here being very high up in the sky, seeing conditions can be exceptionally good at times, so fingers crossed!  :) 

• Like 2

Does SLV stand for "Shows Lovely Views"?

I do want to get the 2.5mm SLV, but I really wish they made a 3.3mm.

My highest is currently a recently acquired SLV 6mm, but the only thing I can say about it so far is it can't see through clouds!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mines my 3.5XW- gets used all the time for tight doubles and when the seeing is really stable it’s pretty awesome on the moon. Gives 469x in my scope. Was using it tonight trying but not convincingly to split Tau Cyg and BU 1133- too much breeze for a steady enough image to be confident of success. I’ve been using a 6mm ortho barlow/adc’d to 3 quite a lot lately trying for Antares but I’m getting the feeling i’ve missed the chance this year as it’s on its way down by the time it gets dark already and it never gets very high to start with. Will keep on trying though, hoping for miraculously steady seeing in some freak alignment of the forces 🤞

• Like 1