Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your highest power E/P and how often does it get used

lee g

After a previous discussion im torn between getting an 8.8mm or a 6.7mm so I was just wondering what your highest power e/p was how often does it get used and on what objects?

what is your most used High power e/p

My most used high power eyepieces are in the 6mm - 3.5mm range.

My scopes range in aperture from 90mm to 300mm and in focal length from 630mm to 1590mm so the range of powers that the above eyepieces give is wide - from 100x - 450x. I find that I use 200x - 300x surprisingly often.

I use high powers on planets, the moon, double stars, planetary nebula and sometimes to tease out faint point source targets such as supernovae.

I find having a range of high power eyepiece options is helpful because the magnification that works the best varies due to seeing conditions as well as the needs of the different targets.

With your Skymax 127mm I could see that both the eyepieces that you are considering would prove useful.

• Like 2

Highest power for me is determined by the exit pupil.  For me, I max out at about 0.5mm to 0.7mm.  Beyond that, the floaters in my eye become too problematic to see around.  As I recall, you have an f/10 SCT from the other thread, so that would mean a 5mm to 7mm eyepiece would be my absolute maximum power eyepiece in your scope.  In my f/6 scopes, I use up to a 3.5mm eyepiece for high power, but very infrequently.  My point is, highest power eyepiece usage is highly scope dependent.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Highest power for me is determined by the exit pupil.  For me, I max out at about 0.5mm to 0.7mm.  Beyond that, the floaters in my eye become too problematic to see around.  As I recall, you have an f/10 SCT from the other thread, so that would mean a 5mm to 7mm eyepiece would be my absolute maximum power eyepiece in your scope.  In my f/6 scopes, I use up to a 3.5mm eyepiece for high power, but very infrequently.  My point is, highest power eyepiece usage is highly scope dependent.

Indeed. For me, I hit the floater barrier just under exit pupil of 1mm. In contrast, my partner doesn't know what floaters are... You have to find out for yourself.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

I have binoviewing pairs of 24mm , 19mm, 14mm (actually 15.2mm) and 12.5mm

Maxing out the power in the binoviewer with its amplifier, my 12.5mm give me 204x which is plenty for 95+ % of UK observing.

I do have Powermate options as well (2x & 4x) so can up the ante if necessary, but they rarely get used visually.

• Like 1

My highest power eyepiece is actually 2mm - one end of the 4mm - 2mm zoom. I use that very infrequently with any of my scopes. I suppose I could use my 2.25x barlow lens on it and have a 1.77mm - 0.88mm zoom but somehow I doubt it would be of much use :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

I have a 3mm Delite and 3.3mm Takahashi TOE. Give 250x and 225x in my 4” refractor. I use both of them every time the Moon‘s in a favourable position. Though sometimes they are too much and I use a 4mm. Am hoping conditions will allow the 3.3mm to be used for Mars over the coming weeks.
Otherwise I binoview with 18.2mm pair and use barlows to get right magnification.

• Like 3

My highest power single eyepiece is a Speers-Waler (Wide Angle Long Eye Relief) variable 5-8mm eyepiece. This is an Ultra Wide Angle 80 degree eyepiece, and is not technically a zoom eyepiece as refocusing is needed at each different 1/2 mm graduation between 5mm and 8mm (see photos). So it actually offers 7 different magnification options.. I really like it.

It's a large, long eyepiece (especially at the 5mm setting), and at that setting gives me x208 in my 128mm refractor. If I add in my Baader Zoom Barlow (2.25x) I can get up to x468, far higher than UK conditions normally allow.

I also have a Carton Japan 7-21mm zoom, and if I use the Baader Barlow with it I can get up to x334. I find that this, much smaller setup is more often used, with x334 being very useable on good nights on Luna and double stars. I hope it will also do well on Mars later this year.

But the Speers Waler 5-8mm variable delivers splendid very wide field and quite highly magnified views in its own right without using a Barlow..

Oh, and also a couple of pics of the Carton Barlow..

Dave 🌝

IMG_20200512_124943543_copy_540x720.jpg

IMG_20200512_124958049_copy_540x720.jpg

IMG_20200512_124931825_copy_540x720.jpg

IMG_20190517_133858601-351x624.jpg.b226700e502425fd4f6ef3a35f4f41ca.jpg

IMG_20190517_134009200-351x624.jpg.d20c69bb99f52817c2105fa88bff4a83.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Correction
  • Like 4

My shortest focal length eyepiece is a 1.6mm Vixen HR, which gives 500X in my 100mm F8 refractor. I tend to use it mainly for double stars and have once used it in a 2X barlow at 1000X just for fun. Mainly though, my high power choices range between 160X to 400X depending on the object I'm observing. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

My highest power single eyepiece is a Speers-Waler (Wide Angle Long Eye Relief) variable 5-8mm eyepiece. This is an Ultra Wide Angle 80 degree eyepiece, and is not technically a zoom eyepiece as refocusing is needed at each different 1/2 mm graduation between 5mm and 8mm (see photos). So it actually offers 7 different magnification options.. I really like it.

It's a large, long eyepiece (especially at the 5mm setting), and at that setting gives me x208 in my 128mm refractor. If I add in my Baader Zoom Barlow (2.25x) I can get up to x468, far higher than UK conditions normally allow.

I also have a Carton Japan 7-21mm zoom, and if I use the Baader Barlow with it I can get up to x334. I find that this, much smaller setup is more often used, with x334 being very useable on good nights on Luna and double stars. I hope it will also do well on Mars later this year.

But the Speers Waler 5-8mm variable delivers splendid very wide field and quite highly magnified views in its own right without using a Barlow..

Oh, and also a couple of pics of the Carton Barlow..

Dave 🌝

IMG_20200512_124943543_copy_540x720.jpg

IMG_20200512_124958049_copy_540x720.jpg

IMG_20200512_124931825_copy_540x720.jpg

IMG_20190517_133858601-351x624.jpg.b226700e502425fd4f6ef3a35f4f41ca.jpg

IMG_20190517_134009200-351x624.jpg.d20c69bb99f52817c2105fa88bff4a83.jpg

Well I never knew that Dave. I thought the waler was something to do with misspelling of whaler cos the eyepiece is so big. And The Speers was actually spears, so something to do with whale hunting. Oh well! Or should I say, Oh whale?
:-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When using my 115mm refractor, my highest power EP would be my Pentax 3.5mm XW yielding 230x. When i bought it, i figured i would only use it for lunar and, those rare night where seeing will support planetary use. As it turns out, i am able to use this eyepiece a lot more often than i thought, I have nicknamed "Star Splitter" as it is a crack shot tight binary splitter, amazing detail on Lunar and, just last night it was fantastic for revealing a razor sharp Cassini Division and equatorial band on Saturn. At first, i was weary of buying such a high end eyepiece which i then figured i would only use occasionally but, it has been a pleasant surprise indeed.

IMG_1260.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Well I never knew that Dave. I thought the waler was something to do with misspelling of whaler cos the eyepiece is so big. And The Speers was actually spears, so something to do with whale hunting. Oh well! Or should I say, Oh whale?
🙂

You seriously need to see a therapist Jeremy!

Regarding the spelling of Spears/Speers, let me run you through (with) it...

Regarding your whale fixation, make an appointment with your analyst - -you'll have a whale of a time - - but don't keep harpooning on about spelling stuff , and don't start blubbering when you see the size of his bill!

Dave 😊

• Haha 2

Vixen 2.4mm HR, superb at 765x in the 15" and 375x in the TSA 120. The TSA 120 can take piles more mag- I barlowed the 2.4mm but not sure of the true mag- 1.5x barlow for 1.6mm fl I think for 560ish x. I need a complete set of HRs for this scope. Noted mags were on the moon under vg seeing.

• Like 4

Great EPs, the Vixen HRs.

I only owned the 3.4mm for a short time, but wrote in my notes it was "the best high power eyepiece I've ever looked through..superb contrast and sharpness, wonderful scatter control, and decent eye relief and field of view for the power".

And I know MikeDnight, our resident planetary observing guru, loves these a lot!

Thanks for posting on these! 😊

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jetstream said:

765x in the 15" and 375x in the TSA 120

765x!!!!! OMG have you spotted the flag on the moon as yet? the TSA120 is my dream scope, soon i will get my dirty paws on one, hopefully.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, banjaxed said:

BST Starguider 3.2 mm. Don’t know yet what it’s like as there have been no clear nights since I got it 🙁

It's great on the moon, when conditions permit. 👍

7 hours ago, JeremyS said:

:-)

Speers is for Canadian optical designer Glenn Speers.  Due to the unfavorable exchange rates between US and Canadian dollars, he wanted to create a home-grown line of affordable wide field eyepieces for Canadians who couldn't afford Tele Vue Naglers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1