Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M82 - Cigar Galaxy

James

Got a chance to go out a few nights ago, the moon was over half full but I figured I could get away with some RGB imaging - yep, I'm trying colour!

Unfortunately for SteveL who has kindly processed the following image for me, I didn't get a chance to do any red as I was keen to have a go at the Whirlpool before I fell asleep (I think I'm struggling to get over the visual observers habit of looking at several objects each night rather than concentrating on just one... :hello2: )

I took one hour luminance, 25 minutes blue, 25 minutes green and 25 minutes Ha and SteveL had to find a way round the lack of red which he did by using the Ha channel as red and using the luminance channel to add detail to the red and then some colour balancing... he made it sound very simple... :?

I used my usual kit, a WO FLT110 on my EQ6, our SXV-H9 and a Lodestar for guiding using PHD.

So without any further ado...

11669_normal.jpeg

Comments and criticism are more than welcome by the way. I'm still feeling my way around a lot of this and yes, I know about the dust bunny! I'll have to do some cleaning or take some flats!

James

Nice James, very nice indeed. That 110 certainly seems to be very capable. Colour images eh? Old Rog' will think we're ganging up on him :hello2:

Looking forward to more. The question I have is, did you do ANY visual on the night you took these? Just wondering how deep the bug has bitten? :D

TJ

Just a thought, but a step by step easy to read blog of your progress, along with pics, might be an asset on the FLO site? I'm sure there are many out there thinking about taking the first step towards the dark side.

Did you bin the colour James?

All of its 2x binned as I seem to be having difficulty with 1x binning. Not sure what or where the problem is yet...

That 110 certainly seems to be very capable. Colour images eh? Old Rog' will think we're ganging up on him :)

It is very capable. I was genuinely quite narked when Steve sold our Megrez 90 but the FLT110 has gone a long way to ease the pain! :hello2: (Shouldn't have said that as he'll now sell the FLT110!) The SXV-H9 is a beaut to use as well.

Looking forward to more. The question I have is, did you do ANY visual on the night you took these? Just wondering how deep the bug has bitten? :(

Well, I looked at the objects as they appeared on my computer screen - does that count? :Envy: . I don't normally do visual work at home due to light pollution and normally go a few miles out of Taunton where it starts to get really dark but I seem to be able to image at home quite easily with filters. The real test will be a clear dark night at new moon when I have permission from Kate to go out to the hills...

You still do THAT with an eyepiece? Les, that is soooo last month..... :D

I'm still using eyepieces for alignment... :Envy: Guess I need to move with the times!

Great image James , you are coming along great Guns now , But whats happened to Flo ,cant you teach him as well hehehehe , great stufff

Rog

Cheers Rog. Steve and I are both so busy with FLO right now (and families) that the plan is shortly for me to do the capturing and Steve to do the processing...

... whats clear weather? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Good question... it's something that I've had 3 or 4 nights in the last month but usually get about once a month and involves that grey stuff disappearing for a few hours. Doesn't usually happen too often here...

Just a thought, but a step by step easy to read blog of your progress, along with pics, might be an asset on the FLO site? I'm sure there are many out there thinking about taking the first step towards the dark side.

The thought has crossed my mind... :Envy:

James

Archived