SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon lens for deep sky

solarboy

Hi guys 

Can anyone recommend a good reasonable price lens for deep sky imaging and milky-way shots . I have a 600d and a 7d Canon camera. 

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by solarboy

Cannot go far wrong with the Samyang 135mm F2 for medium FOV.  Depends on if you are using DSLR or CCD/CMOS.

I use it with an Atik 414ex Mono to get this sort of FOV.

900409262_M31LRGBcolorjpg.jpg.c42240cd4c131bfc4cd49a0870755099.jpg

..and a QHY8 to get  wider.

1975950314_EVeil.thumb.jpg.a48b38588715b341d5bb6ebbf06150fa.jpg

Milky Way shots.... again Samyang do a nice selection from 8mm-16mm.

I use the Canon 200mm 2.8ii on full frame and am getting good results from it, though I stop it down a bit to f3.5 or f4. Never used the Samyang 135 but am very interested in the lens. Have bought Samyang once before and had to send it back as elements were clearly misaligned. Anyone know if they have improved their quality control or do you need to send back X number of copies to get a good one?  

19 minutes ago, Lockie said:

On a budget the nifty fifty - Canon 50mm 1.8 STM prime lens. they are around £100 

I haven't used the standard 18-55mm lens that came with my Canon since I got the "nifty fifty".

It's a fantastic, incredibly practical lens for general use, (and did a good job of Neowise).

Having said that,  if I were using my eos250d for Astro, I think that I would get the Samyang.