SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First go at Ring Nebula with cam

Gmx76

Hi, been trying to see this for a while with my cam after first got a glimpse through the EP a little while ago.

Managed to get a nice view through my Starquest 130P and GPCAM2 290C, even picks out some of the colours.

Not the best pic I am sure but as just wanted to share what I viewed tonight.

No processing as such, only live stacking in Altair Capture. Cheers

ringnebula.jpg

• Like 12

I never use a Bahtinov mask on my reflector. I locate a bright star and get it in the centre of the fieId of view and keep tweaking the focus until the diffraction spikes are as sharp as I can get them - normally works. (Don't forget to keep the collimation spot on ). (Keep camera settings down to about 1 second, no stacking and adjust the software so that you get clear diffraction spikes).

For my other scopes I use a mask. This web site may interest you http://www.deepskywatch.com/Articles/make-bahtinov-mask.html 

I have made three homemade masks over the years and personally find them fit better than the bought one I have.

Much to learn and have fun.

Mike

• Like 1

Since you can get a good snap of M57 you should be able to get a good one of M27 (The Dumbell). Planetary nebulae are marvellous objects. Great shapes and if you can get the colour too even better.

As for focusing and a Bahtinov mask. I definitely recommend them. Rother Valley seem to sell some reasonably priced ones. You'll need to use a bright star for focusing.

And... don't forget to take it off when you've got the focus right. I've tried leaving it on several times and it does not improve the images.

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Bill.  Can anyone advise on collimation  for this scope?  Firstly, can you tell from the picture if its collimated or not? Total newbie so heard a lot but never tried collimation myself.  It has a fixed primary so I guess I could only do the secondary? 

Have a look at this guide, you may need a cheshire, laser or collimation cap ( pick your poison ) 

http://www.astro-baby.com/astrobaby/help/collimation-guide-newtonian-reflector/

If you get an out of focus image of a bight star ( make sure it is dead centre ) the rings of the star should be concentric. It should look something like this

img_0045.jpg.292c37f691676cb41f1ab0f69adfbcba.jpg

if the star is not dead centre the centre black hole will move and look out of collimation, so make sure the star is centered. There are plenty of videos on youtube that can explain it better than me :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

did my first collimation on the secondary with a Cheshire (it has a fixed primary) a week ago, now managed to get some better pics of Ring Nebula M57 and Dumbelll M27. Just live stacking in AltairCapture.

dumbell200909230329.png

ring200909223859.png

• Like 1