Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Should I buy used Celestron Nexstar 5se?

There is a Celestron Nexstar 5se for sale in my local area.  Owner says it was used once, and he is asking $500.    This would be my first telescope. I've wanted one since I was 8; I'm 59 now, and I think it's finally time!  I am comfortable with technology/gadgets/computers/star charts.  Not interested in astrophotography.  I am interested in DSO and portability, as I will have to travel to get away from city lights. Am wondering whether to buy this or spend big bucks and get a 6se.  i.e. would I be disappointed in the 5se?  

Edited by Veronica L
  • Like 1

That's up to you. A 5" SCT is big enough to give you interesting views of a variety of objects.  It will show some galaxies if you can get to a dark skies site.

The 6" (C6 SE) will do everything better, but will be a bit bulkier and heavier. It has a bigger mount, the same as used with the C8 SE.

The Nexstar GoTo system is relatively easy to use.

The se's require power. They take batteries in the mount but reading reviews most people end up buying a power pack. Which are about another 60 quid or so and more stuff to lug about in the dark. I was recommend a 5 or 6 se by the local astronomy club. However if you can stretch your budget the evolution series of comes with it's own built in power pack and a sturdier mount. I found one in a sale and am very pleased with it so far. Just remember whatever you decided to do, make sure you've updated to the latest firmware.