Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vintage eyecups

markse68

I have an old boot sale pair of binoculars missing one eyecup. They’re Lieberman and Gortz 10x60 and theyre “highly coated” !😳😂

Actually theyre a bit pants in the contrast dept but I seem to remember collimating the prisms and freeing up the focussing mech which is lovely and smooth now and they seem to work ok but for the missing eyecup (and the ep focus diopter adjuster is seized but luckily in an ok position!) 

My question is are these eye cups fairly standard threaded fitting or as i suspect different across brands/models? concerning is the one that’s there unscrews but doesn’t fit the other 🤔

Figured they might be useful for astro with the 60mm aperture- shame not to use them for a missing eyecup.  they’re about same weight as current 10x50 offerings so that’s a positive.

61C4D7B9-8C96-4EDC-BBCF-B94F7C026B7D.jpeg

edit: the cup does fit both sides after all- thought that a bit odd - the threads are a bit chewed and crossed though which had me fooled 

Edited by markse68

Hi Mark, they do seem to vary between makers and models even. The there's matching the threads, not sure if those would be imperial and the japanese ones metric, for example, tho a german sounding make could be metric too. I've a few spare zenith 10x ZCF's kicking around spare in various condition so its possible and eyecup from one of those may work, post up the various dimensions and I can take a look at some stage, could be a bit slow on that tho...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Hi Mark, they do seem to vary between makers and models even. The there's matching the threads, not sure if those would be imperial and the japanese ones metric, for example, tho a german sounding make could be metric too. I've a few spare zenith 10x ZCF's kicking around spare in various condition so its possible and eyecup from one of those may work, post up the various dimensions and I can take a look at some stage, could be a bit slow on that tho...

Thanks Dave! Thinking about it even if the thread were the same, the outside design would likely be different. I’ll measure them  when i get home but i’ll probably 3d print something for them

yeah that's the problem, swap both or have a mis-match. The drawback of rescuing vintage gear sometimes. I think the ones I have on the spares have a screw on eyecup on the eyepiece body and a couple of those missing. Just loathe to chuck something that may yield spares for something later on hence they're sat in a box upstairs

Could 3D print, but some creativity, contact adhesive and bike inner tube could fashion your something that does the job. I’ve added custom winged eyecups to all my binoculars to shield put straylight.

thanka

Peter