Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for a FIRST telescope - UK skies!

Hello to all, 

Firstly let me introduce myself, I am nearing my 50th very soon, and I am developing keen interest on this hobby, having a set of celesteron binos (25x) I have been gazing at nigh skies (when its clear!)

Recently saw the neowise comet through my binos and the bug has been biting ever since!

So to all the seasoned hobbyist here on the lounge, my question is about the recommendations for my first telescope, keeping in mind the UK skies (I live in Dunstable, so moderate light pollution)

I dont want to spend a fortune, but upto £300 mark should suffice?

with my own research i have kind of selected starwatcher 200p (but not sure if i will be able to store it in the house, without annoying the wife!)

thanks for your help!

best regards

Sam

The Skywatcher 200P is an excellent choice 👍

For a little more the Bresser version is considered to be a little better mechanically.....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-8-dobsonian-telescope.html

Both sit within the area of the base and can be stored in an unused corner out of the way 🙂

Edited by dweller25

The Bresser is the better buy as you get more for your money with a better speccification and better build quality and a great focuser in particular. However optically they are about the same and the Skywatcher costs less ininitially although could do with some upgrades but you can spread the cost out a bit. 

This is the same focuser that comes on the Bresser. (with the optional 1:10 fine focus)

https://www.bresseruk.com/astronomy/explore-scientific-2-5-hex-focuser-with-1-10-gear-reduction.html

In comparison this is what you get on the Skywatcher although with better knobs.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-1252-rack-pinion-focuser.html

Second hand Skywatchers aren’t hard to find but second hand Bressers are like hens teeth, very rare.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, galaxy-gazer said:

with my own research i have kind of selected starwatcher 200p (but not sure if i will be able to store it in the house, without annoying the wife!)

Indeed, there is a whole thread devoted to the storage of dobs (or not annoying the SO):

Hi Sam, I spent years with a similar sized telescope and saw tons of objects. You're gonna have a blast. I'm approaching 60, so having a scope you can haul around is the way to go.

Get your wife involved? Mine enjoys seeing the show pieces like the planets and moon. She also made me an elasticated "hat" for the top of the tube, which keeps out the dust. A shower cap if it will stretch that far will also work.

Welcome aboard, this is a great hobby.

Mark

• Like 1

18 hours ago, galaxy-gazer said:

You could pop over to Tring Astro and see how big an 8" dob is in the flesh, as their website says they are now open for prearranged visits.

8 hours ago, Ricochet said:

quick question - how different will be a 6" dobs over an 8" dob - price wise / size wise and also quality-efficiency of it?

You could pop over to Tring Astro and see how big an 8" dob is in the flesh, as their website says they are now open for prearranged visits.

On 22/07/2020 at 11:43, galaxy-gazer said:

Hello to all, 

Firstly let me introduce myself, I am nearing my 50th very soon, and I am developing keen interest on this hobby, having a set of celesteron binos (25x) I have been gazing at nigh skies (when its clear!)

Recently saw the neowise comet through my binos and the bug has been biting ever since!

So to all the seasoned hobbyist here on the lounge, my question is about the recommendations for my first telescope, keeping in mind the UK skies (I live in Dunstable, so moderate light pollution)

thanks for your help!

best regards

Sam

Hello to all, 

thanks for your help!

best regards

Sam

with reference to my above query, would anyone throw some light on a comparison between Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian and Skywatcher Skyliner 150P ?

thanks

sam

Hi Sam,

An 8" mirror (200p) will capture 78% more light than a 6" (150p), which will result in a brighter image, better resolution, and more detail in the things you view.  If weight, size and transporting it around (if appropriate) are not an issue, the general advice is to go for the biggest aperture you can afford. You can always buy more eyepieces as you go along, but upgrading to a bigger mirror means changing your scope. If I were choosing between the 150p and the 200p, I'd choose the 200p every day - and twice on Sundays.

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1

From a previous thread, @johninderby said that the base diameter of the 150p and 200p are the same. The OTA lengths are the same. too.

So they will both take up the same amount of storage space.

So 200p it is then! Unless someone knows how big a 250p is? ;)

According to Skywatcher the 150p, 200p and 250p both all 20.5” diameter bases.

Just click on  specifications for the dimensions.

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/telescopes/products/sky-watcher-classic-250p

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/telescopes/products/sky-watcher-classic-200p

https://www.skywatcherusa.com/collections/telescopes/products/sky-watcher-classic-150p

Edited by johninderby

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

So the 200p is actually shorter than the 150p. That must be down to the focuser.

Anyway - I'm sure the missus will be happier then with the more efficient use of storage space with the 200p!

I would recommend the Sky-watcher 200P Dob as a first telescope - dead easy to use. As long as you have moderately dark skies, can keep clear of artificial light sources such as bright street lights or neighbours security lights, you will be very pleased with it. If you are in the centre of a city with all its associated light pollution then visual astronomy, regardless of telescope, can be frustrating to say the least.

15 minutes ago, dogduck said:

Watching this forum and iam in the same boat but got about 500/700 £ to spend still not got any ideas wot to get any one help.pls

OK that’s a pretty nornal question that most beginners ask but first need a bit more info before we can make any recommendations.

1. What are you most interested in. Moon & planets or DSOs or a bit of everything
  2. Do you want to find things yourself or would ypu prefer GOTO
  3. Is portability important or will you be using it from home.

And most import of all is to realise no one scope does it all.

Edited by johninderby

but not sure if i will be able to store it in the house, without annoying the wife!

I have the collapsible tube version, but the base size is still the same, it take about as much floor space as a dining chair and I store mine behind the door in the corner of the porch.

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

OK that’s a pretty nornal question that most beginners ask but first need a bit more info before we can make any recommendations.

1. What are you most interested in. Moon & planets or DSOs or a bit of everything
  2. Do you want to find things yourself or would ypu prefer GOTO
  3. Is portability important or will you be using it from home.

And most import of all is to realise no one scope does it all.

Hi bit of everything at this time a go-to mount but what I can practice moving myself