Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi, I have been given (lucky me) astromaster 130 as it had no lenses, at the start of lockdown. I purchased the Celestron accessory kit 15mm and 9mm plus filters, also a cheap 25mm lens too.

all really good, I m ok with basic stars/planets and use of telescope.

main question, would be nice if I had more money but you have to make use of what you got. 
would a Barlow 2 or 3x make these lenses any better magnification?

looking at Orion shorty?

the picture il try and post was holding a iPhone 8 really steady down the 15mm!!

going to attemp Saturn but even with the 9mm not sure il see the rings???

ps I know they are low in the sky and that will make to much noise to get a good view.

3B8AFE81-B093-4B3B-B038-5ED5A452190D.jpeg

Hi Mike, welcome to SGL. Nice photo.

I have no experience of your scope but a 2 x Barlow will basically double the magnification of an eyepiece so instead of 3 eyepieces you will have 6 so yes, they are a useful tool to have. I wouldn’t personally bother with the 3x, you don’t want to overdo it and you don’t need it, just the 2x will do

• Thanks 1

Saturn's rings are apparent with just about any telescope.  The difference is how sharply defined they are.  If everything is well executed and collimated and seeing conditions are steady, Saturn should look like a fake cutout pasted onto the sky.

• Thanks 1